This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing on Laptop with no CD or floppy

Hi, I have a KDS Laptop, PIII 600. I am wanting to instal Kubuntu on it. I downloaded 6.06 because what I read, Gutsy was too much for it. I only have 192 MB Ram. I have managed to get Knoppix installed to a 1Gb pen drive and booted it successfully off of it. I have also managed to get Knoppix running off the hard drive. I like it, but I cannot update it. So, I decided to get a distro that was updatable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I was thinking of putting 6.06 on the pen drive some how and booting off the pen drive and installing from there. But I am not sure if there are a couple of files that I need to have to do that with. TIA.

Re: installing on Laptop with no CD or floppy

Check the Howto section of the forum. Qqmike has one on getting Kubuntu onto a bootable thumb drive.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, I found it, but I was wondering if that was the best installation, or if you think I should be running 6.0.10, or 7.0.4 etc... I was also trying to figure out how the pen drive works. By that I mean how the boot works, because I found a HowTo that shows how to make the pendrive bootable from Windows, but for this one I have to make a cd then boot from the cd. I was trying to keep from doing that. Don't ask why, was just trying to. Also finding out a little more about how it works. Again thanks for pointing me to the howto, I should have made myself more clear in the beginning.

Comment

Another obvious option is to borrow (or purchase) a USB CD to be plugged into your laptop. That is, if your laptop has one or more USB ports.

Comment

actually, I have one, but for some reason it never finishes booting from the cd. Knoppix or no live cd ever works from it. I thought that was normal. That is why I was trying so hard to get the USB Stick to work.

Comment

Ah. I gathered from your subject line and first post that you didn't have a CD. When you do boot from the LiveCD, at what point does it stop? What messages do you get? With some additional information, we may be able to get you up and running from the LiveCD.

Comment

That would be great, I tried last night to boot from the 6.0.6 cd. I first checked it on the computer I am on now, and the cd checked fine. No defects. Then I started my laptop with my USB CD and then It started, but when I chose to install from Text (I Only have 192 MB Ram) I get past everything asking about language and keyboard, but then I get a message to load CD-Rom Drivers from a floppy, or chose from a list.

PS I tried putting this image on the usb drive, by formatting the usb stick and making it bootable then copying the files over to it, but I get a cannot find VMlinix message. I did put Syslinux on it first too. I used the knoppix that I have running to do it with. Which may have been the problem. I just don't know enough yet.

BTW, Thanks for helping me on this, I know it takes up a lot of time for you, but I do appreciate it. Love the Ghost Rider icon too.

Comment

Working...
              X