This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

automount, different users & permissions

I am On Gutsy. No external devices (USB sticks, cards, drives) show up on the desktop *but* do show up in the Storage Media Panel Applet. *if* I mount one from the applet OR if I remove any one and reinsert it, they all show up on the desktop...

Q. How can I get them to all show up on the desktop *automatically* without the work around?

Q. How can I get the main account to have unadulterated access to all external devices *but* make certain accounts have *ONLY* read only access?

thank you for your time. this is very important and I really appreciate any help on the subject!

Re: automount, different users & permissions

this is an absolute nightmare. I tried dozens of possibilities. I never, ever *never* get the results I need. can anybody help at all?

Comment

this is the way i do it. i am using 7.04 but i am guessing it should work the same on 7.10 as well.

i open Konqueror.

click on Storage Media.

this will open your media folders.

left click and hold down and drag to the desktop.

click on Link Here and it will take up the least amount of space and you will have access to them from the desktop.

Comment

here is a good link that should help you.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087189.0

click on the Kmenu goto system click on Konsole. in the Konsole type in kdesu konqueror

this will open Konqueror click on Storage Media

if your hard drive is in a folder click on the folder to open it up to show your hard drive but not inside of the hard drive.

rigth click on the hard drive you wish to change permissions on.

click on permissions and at this point you can make changes to this drive.

you will close all of these windows out when your done and start all over for each hard drive your wanting to make changes too.

Comment

I thank you very much for your help but unfortunately this is not the route I am trying to take. Here are the steps I am trying to follow.

1. if no disk is plugged in, no link to it should exists.
          2. if a disk is plugged in, whether it is mounted or not, it should show on the desktop.
          3. all external devices need to be in very strict control. RW for some, RO for others.

believe it or not, trying to find a way to do all of this from the gui's feels impossible. for instance, step 1 & 2 should be taken care of here.
          • kcontrol > desktop > behavior > device icons
          • check: Mounted Removeable Medium
          • check: Unmounted Removeable Medium

no deal

I created directories in /media corresponding to the names of the devices e.g., sdg1, sdh1, sdc1 and made a single fstab entry for each device e.g., /dev/sdg1 /media/sdg1 [options] 0 0. no matter what I would do, I could never get them to all show up on the desktop, mounted or not.

the desktop issue became less and less of an issue as no matter what options I threw at a device e.g., user|uid=1000|gid=1000|uid=gid=1000|gid=46|gid=0|a uto would either not boot up the box and I'd have to reboot using SySRq, recovery mode OR I would get permissions denied although in some instances I owned the device and was group of the device. very upsetting. In some instances I just made things harder when dealing with them.

I have also tried
          kcontrol > system administration > disk & file systems (mount point editor) and messed with so many options to no avail. I rebooted so many times, I've gotten sick of the thought

I tried putting my sons account into no groups what so ever, literally 'nogroup' and looking for a way to restrict his permissions to these devices but I failed.

ultimately, what I am doing that somewhat solves the problem is, I am the first to log in and once in before switching to my sons account, I manually mounted all 3 external devices. at this point, my son will have no permissions on them. it sucks hard core but I have no choice. at least that's how I feel about it.

I also did try chown here and there to no avail....

I still feel I didn't solve the problems but I am really very tired of thinking about it. I thank you a million for trying to help. I really appreciate it. I would hate to call bug/broken ,etc but thats how I feel. I just can't muster the energy to really see if it is.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ponygirldefiance
            this is the way i do it. i am using 7.04 but i am guessing it should work the same on 7.10 as well.
            i open Konqueror.
            click on Storage Media.
            this will open your media folders.
            left click and hold down and drag to the desktop.
            click on Link Here and it will take up the least amount of space and you will have access to them from the desktop.
            To cool! 8) Since I upgraded KDE to 3.5.8 two days ago, I lost my desktop links to my USB HDs. This works great. After drag/drop to the desktop, I just had to right-click, select properties, and change the default icon to that of a USB pendrive and rename the link on the desktop.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by vbgunz
              I am On Gutsy. No external devices (USB sticks, cards, drives) show up on the desktop
              Interesting. I am also on gutsy and they show up on my desktop by default (and in /media as well) without me having made any changes. This happens for both my SD card and external USB hd.

Can't find any obvious things as to why this happens. Right-clicking and going into properties under tab 'mounting' Flushed IO, UTF-8 Charset, and Mount as User are all checked but I can't imagine these would make any difference.

Comment

i am all for doing it your own way but i have also always been open to a simple way of doing things too if they work.

Comment

its really nice when it just works but in my case, it just doesn't

my main issue isn't really un/mounting anything. it's just getting the icons to the disk attached to the system to show up on the desktop regardless of mount status *but* if they're not attached, they should not show up at all. also, another thing is to really limit certain accounts on the system to having READ ONLY access to these devices.

ponygirldefiance, I really do appreciate your help and suggestions, they unfortunately do not really cover whats needed, but none-the-less, I thank you for your help!

I am thinking the icons not showing up on the desktop is a bug but I'd hate to call it that and find out it's all due to my ignorance. trying to restrict certain users permissions on devices is insanely difficult and automounting these devices shouldn't be difficult either... heh, anyhow, I would still like suggestions for handling these issues in the best way possible.

thank you for your time!

Comment

Originally posted by vbgunz

I am thinking the icons not showing up on the desktop is a bug
                    I don't think so. The default Kubuntu desktop is empty. It is up to the user to decide what icons he/she would like on his/her desktop.

Mounted media (hard drives, CDs, thumb drives, etc.) can be shown on the desktop if you wish. Right-click on the desktop, "configure desktop", "behavior", choose the "device icons" tab, and put an "x" in whatever devices you would like to see on the desktop, including "mounted hard disk volume" if that's what you want.

Note that the permissions on a mounted partition are an entirely separate question from showing the icon on the desktop.

Comment

It's always great to learn that there is more than one to do something in Linux. I did the "Right-click on the desktop, "configure desktop", "behavior", choose the "device icons" tab, and put an "x" in whatever devices you would like to see on the desktop" and noticed a peculiar issue. Namely, that even though Unmounted Removable Media was checked, my two external USB HDs did not show on the desktop. Open System Menu | Storage Media and click on any of them however, and they show up on the desktop! It's a 'minor' annoyance, and one that was not present before upgrading to KDE 3.5.8. Maybe another 'bug' in the environment.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

dibl,

i did do that. I put an x in un/mounted removeable medium but the icons do not show up whether they're mounted or not, at-least not by default on first boot into the system.

to get all 3 devices attached to my system to show up on the desktop at all, I only need to mount 1. by mounting 1, all 3 show up on the desktop. I would like to mount 0 and see all 3 show up if that's possible

thanks!

Comment

Mounted Device Icon Display Bug?

I also have the same issue as vbgunz. The boxes to display the (un)mounted drives are checked under the desktop behavior. When I start a new session or reboot, the icons do not show up until I mount another device, either another HD or a CDROM or USB or anything else.

Comment

Working...
                          X