Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to reinstall kubuntu 5.10 on dual boot (win xp) laptop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to reinstall kubuntu 5.10 on dual boot (win xp) laptop?

hi,

just started with linux a few days ago so i'm totally new to all this. got fed up with xp, norton, restarting due to updates and so on, i guess most of you know how it is... anyway, i decided to give linux a shot and thought kubuntu would fit my needs. i have to say i'm amazed by this system and i regret that i didn't start using it years ago. it just works faster and feels so much "smarter" than xp.

however i accidently messed up some things in the kernel (or something... anyway, my lan and wlan is not working now), and i have no idea how to fix it, so i thought the easiest and least time consuming way to solve this would be to reinstall kubuntu and let it autodetect everything.

i would appreciate if someone could tell me how to do that if i already have kubuntu installed on one partition (i've got the installation cd). should i install it the same way i did it the first time? i've already done the partitioning the way i want it, so i'd really like to skip that part. and will grub recognize that the old installation doesn't exist?

i'm running kubuntu on a dual boot laptop with xp, and i use one fat32 partition to access files from both system.

cheers!

Re: how to reinstall kubuntu 5.10 on dual boot (win xp) laptop?

Hi,

First of all welcome to kubuntu's world

In fact, you can reinstall exactly the same way you did first time, just keep in memory that all datas from your partitions (used by linux) will be formated... so don't forget about backup. The only difference will be when you will fall on partitionning questions, choose to make them by yourself and then select the root one to give her "/" name, your home partitions the "/home", etc...
    Then continue. at the end, grub will reinstall and your old system will have disappeared as it's no more installed...

If you have other questions, don't hesitate.
    Cheers

Comment

Re: how to reinstall kubuntu 5.10 on dual boot (win xp) laptop?

thanks for your help! just finished reinstalling, my system is up and running again.

Comment

Working...
      X