This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen saver help needed

Hi I'm new here and to Linux. I am only able to get a black screen as the screen saver no matter which one I pick. Screen saver is set to automatic and to come on in 5 min, power save set off. I have tried all the screen savers and clicked the test button and all seem to work ok, but when it comes on automatically I only get a black screen. >

Paul

Re: Screen saver help needed

just a question did you click apply after you picked the screen saver you wanted to use?

Comment

Yep -- some of the previous Open GL screensavers were kind of nonfunctional -- I recall that problem in Edgy, for sure. Which version are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by ponygirldefiance
        just a question did you click apply after you picked the screen saver you wanted to use?
        Yes I clicked apply. It doesn't matter if I try the regular or open gl screen saver.

Comment

what version are you running on your machine? did you have a operating system on this machine before or is this a brand new machine? if you have had an operating system on it before did your screen savers work before you installed this operating system?

Comment

what version are you running on your machine? did you have a operating system on this machine before or is this a brand new machine? if you have had an operating system on it before did your screen savers work before you installed this operating system?
            This is an old machine, a Plll 500 with 256 mb memory and a NEC multisync A700 monitor. It originally had a 30 gig drive with win 2k on it. The video card, a ATI Rage 128 pro was working ok no problems. The drive crashed and I replaced it with a 160 gb drive and installed win 2k again to make sure the drive an everything was still working ok. I then wiped the drive and installed Kubuntu 7.04 last weekend. I did find out yesterday that I have more than a screen saver problem. I am unable to change any screen size or refresh rate other than 1152 / 768 at 55 hz. No matter what settings you put in it always goes back to the same 1152 / 768 settings. The screen size is ok but the 55hz flicker gives me a headache.

I just downloaded Kubuntu 7.1, does the install allow you to do an update or will I have to do a clean install? I wish they had a install manual and user manual I could download and print out, I just don't know the ins and outs of Linux yet. If I can get Linux to do the things I need I want to get rid of windows all together.

Comment

here is a link to a site that has a lot of info that might be helpful for you.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...book-amd64.xml

im sure there are more just not sure where to send you to find them. only to say read through the post on here and you will find a lot of useful info and great links.

when i installed 7.04 on my machine i had the same problem. for me i just wiped it out and re installed the OS and it worked fine. could be a bad cd you down loaded or rec'd or just a glitch like the one i had.

about your 7.10 download it will depend on if you downloaded the upgrade version or the alternative cd. the upgrade you will upgrade from the 7.04 the alternative cd you can do a fresh install.

the one thing that i have noticed you said it was an older machine im wondering if the video card might need upgraded to work in the linux system. i can't answer that one for you but im sure others on here can help you with that info.

good luck with your 7.10 i hope to get mine in the next day or two.

Comment

here is a link to a site that has a lot of info that might be helpful for you.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...book-amd64.xml

im sure there are more just not sure where to send you to find them. only to say read through the post on here and you will find a lot of useful info and great links.

when i installed 7.04 on my machine i had the same problem. for me i just wiped it out and re installed the OS and it worked fine. could be a bad cd you down loaded or rec'd or just a glitch like the one i had.

about your 7.10 download it will depend on if you downloaded the upgrade version or the alternative cd. the upgrade you will upgrade from the 7.04 the alternative cd you can do a fresh install.

the one thing that i have noticed you said it was an older machine im wondering if the video card might need upgraded to work in the linux system. i can't answer that one for you but im sure others on here can help you with that info.

good luck with your 7.10 i hope to get mine in the next day or two.

Did a clean install of 7.1 Friday. It set up my card for the ATI driver and did identify my monitor correctly instead of plug & play, I can now change the screen size and the refresh rate, but had no screen saver. I also found it would not let me turn off the power save, I can uncheck it and click apply and it will stay off till I reboot the system then it turns back on set to 30 min (tried to set for 5 hrs, but goes back to 30 min at reboot). This morning there was a system update, ran the update and now I have a screen saver, I set it up for open GL pipes (Much better than windows version) seems to be working OK. I did find that when I tried to use the setup function the window would come up, but then crashed and sent me back to the login screen. Going to leave things the way the are for now and see if I run into any other problems. Thanks for the help.

Comment

glad you were able to get that working for you. sometimes it just takes a few updates or upgrades to fix a glitch like that.

Comment

Working...
                  X