This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows keeps erasing grub

Another option, just for the sake of brainstorming here, and it beats modifying NTLDR, he could get Super Grub Disk (on CD or on flash drive), and boot into Kubuntu using SGD each time
    An alternative would be Smart Boot Manager. This is available with some Linux magazines and comes in Linux or DOS flavors. See e.g. http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm or http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Just an off-the-wall question: you are using update-grub after editing menu.lst, aren't you? I just ask because I didn't see it mentioned.

Another method you could use, to avoid GRUB conflicts, is to use mbldr. Basically this is a DOS program you can run from Windows which resides on the MBR and lets you select your boot partition. GRUB should then be installed into the Linux root partition.

If you want mbldr can be set up to be invisible on boot and only have a short delay during which you, as the only person who knows it is there, can select which OS you want. Anyone not in the know would just get a blank screen for a second or two (you can set the delay).

You would need to look at the mbldr docs but the way I set it up is:
      partition the disk - one primary part for Win, the rest for Linux
      install Windows on the first partition
      set the Win partition to hidden and the Linux partiton to Active
      install Linux in the second partition
      - allow Linux to further partition the space as required during install
      - also make Linux put GRUB on the Linux partition
      set Windows partition back to Active & boot into Windows
      set up mbldr from Windows

I use BootItNG for the partitioning because that part of BootItNG is free (zero-cost).

Greg

Comment

Don't use update-grub unless you *really * know what you are doing. I've never used it, and yet I've done just about everything with GRUB that most people would ever care to do. Sometimes, it may run in the background to update GRUB-related for you (eg, during Automagic kernel updates), but not meant for beginners' manual use, IMHO.

root (hdx, y)
        setup (hdz)
        quit
        $ exit

That's the plain and simple magic that works, if it is going to.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the info.

I have reinstalled the windows MBR and will look at this again when I have some sparetime last week and see if I can get it working.

Cheers

Jon

Comment

I tried real hard to skim this thread. I didn't notice a mention to this idea, so if someone has suggested it, please forgive me for restating it.

Some PCs have the MBR locked in the CMOS setup. No matter what you try to install or modify, it just wont change the MBR until you unlock it in CMOS.

Since this CMOS has been password protected, it is likely that a previous owner took security seriously, and then locked the MBR to prevent unwanted OS installations, or the dreaded MBR virus. The current owner has no choice but to pluck the battery and reset the CMOS (and is password) to verify that the MBR is not locked.
            Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

Right, round 2!

Given that this is a works laptop I have decided to use a USB stick to boot from with grub.

I have installed grub onto the usb stick and it boots into the grub menu but comes up with an error saying it cant find the partition. Now I am working on the assumption that there is an issue with the device map and how grub refers to the different drives.

The internal hdd normally comes up as /dev/sda and the usb stick as /dev/sdb. Does anyone have any suggestions for the device.map file?

I have tried (hd0) /dev/sda and (hd0) /dev/sdb

Cheers

Jon

Comment

Figured it out!

I am booting from a USB stick so that becomes sda and the internal drive becomes sdb for grub

Comment

Yep. Good work there jonnyboy! Congratulations!

I posted it before, but here it is again in case others land out here at the end and find this interesting:

How To Make GRUB Thumb Drive
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081748.0

As jonnyboy discovered, when you connect the USB flash drive, it becomes hd0 as far as BIOS (and therefore also GRUB) is concerned. Your internal drive, which used to be hd0 is bumped to hd1. However, when the USB is not connected, everything goes back to normal, with the internal drive being hd0. Thus, your root references in your menu.lst need to be adjusted accordingly.

The How-to and it’s references explains this drive shifting, especially the reference using the map commands:
                  At hardwareguys, unders Software -> Operating Systems -> GRUB on Thumb Drive:
                  http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonb...ST;f=12;t=5353

You can put your own GRUB menu on the thumb drive along with Super Grub Disk (for usb), and I also put GParted there as well – see the How-to.
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                  X