Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't "write" anything to my other non-linux partitions.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't "write" anything to my other non-linux partitions.

Basically, every time I try to add a file or take a file from there and place it somewhere else it tells me I can't do it. Can I change it so I can? It worked before I had to reinstall Kubuntu...

Re: Can't "write" anything to my other non-linux partitions.

Permission problem ?

Topic: chmod syntax for directory tree permissions
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081931.0
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Check to see if you are part of the plugdev group.

Mike
      http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

None of the "chmod" commands changes anything, I just the items come up and then it says "read only file system" after each one. :/ the group is "plugdev" and the owner is "root".

Comment

Can you post your /etc/fstab ?
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

subscribing
            Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

Re: Can't &quot;write&quot; anything to my other non-linux partitions.

Did you say "non-Linux" filesystems? Could they be NTFS or FAT32? Linux can read, but not write, to those filesystems, unless you run one of the packages designed to deal with that problem, like "fs-drive" or "ntfs-3g".

Comment

/etc/fstab:

Code:
                # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                #
                # <file system> <mount point>  <type> <options>    <dump> <pass>
                proc      /proc      proc  defaults    0    0
                # /dev/hda3
                UUID=318f3d32-fe46-4df4-922d-e26b4cab104a /        ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro 0    1
                # /dev/hda1
                UUID=84D85780D8576F82 /media/hda1   ntfs  defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0    1
                # /dev/hda5
                UUID=A264E01564DFEA55 /media/hda5   ntfs  defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0    1
                # /dev/hda6
                UUID=72E424CAE4249281 /media/hda6   ntfs  defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0    1
                # /dev/hda7
                UUID=237842ed-5830-48ad-b427-64f9f349ea2e none      swap  sw       0    0
                /dev/hdc    /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 user,noauto   0    0
                To dibl: Yes, they're NTFS. I have also been able to write to them on prior installations of kubuntu-- but not this time round.

Comment

Install the package "ntfs-config", and run the program (kdesu ntfs-config).

This installs the NTFS-3G driver which allows write access to NTFS partitions.

@dibl: Linux can write to FAT filesystems.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM
                    {smacked in the head} Yes, it can -- senility strikes again!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM
                      Install the package "ntfs-config", and run the program (kdesu ntfs-config).

This installs the NTFS-3G driver which allows write access to NTFS partitions.

Eerk! Now they're just... blank folders... with nothing in them... (scared the hell out of me at first, had to go on Windows to check everything was still there. It was, thank God.)

I pretty much got this error for each of the 3 things:

Code:
                      Mounting /media/hda5 failed.

$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 0)
                      Failed to mount '/dev/disk/by-uuid/A264E01564DFEA55': Operation not supported
                      Mount is denied because NTFS logfile is unclean. Choose one action:
                        Boot Windows and shutdown it cleanly, or if you have a removable
                        device then click the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows
                        taskbar notification area before disconnecting it.
                      Or
                        Run ntfsfix version 1.13.1 on Linux unless you have Vista.
                      Or
                        Mount the NTFS volume with the 'ro' option in read-only mode.

Comment

Well, do what it says

Comment

Umm, Err -- Personally, I would stick with the first or third options; i.e. boot windoze and shut it down cleanly, and/or mount the ntfs volume ro and don't write to it with Kubuntu. My basic theory, here, is that you should leave windoze stuff to windoze programs and Linux stuff to Linux programs. In addition, I'm not sure that ntfsfix is consistent with ntfs-3g. Ntfsfix is part of the ntfsprogs package from linux-ntfs.org and I believe (I may be wrong) that ntfs-3g is a fork from this.

Comment

Working...
                          X