This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programming GUI

Well I just made the switch to kubuntu from windows about a week ago. When I used windows, I did some programming with the windows api to make GUI apps. My question is:what is the linux equivalent to the windows api? I thought is was xserver but I can't seem to find a development kit for that anywhere and I am almost positive that I don't already have it. Thanks.

Re: Programming GUI

Kdevelop(sudo apt-get install kdevelop) is probably the most well known multi-language IDE for developing application on KDE. Unless it has been changed recently it includes the Qt designer for making GUI.

Right now i am fooling around with wxWidgets with Python.

There is also the Gtk library that one can use.

Qt, Gtk, and wxWidgets are multi-platform so they can be used in windows as well as Linux.

Also, remember to get the build-essential from the repository if you are working in C/C++ (sudo apt-get install build-essential)

Comment

Besides KDevelop, I'm also using Qt4 and Netbeans. Some loves Anjuta. Yeah, I know, too many choices, but it's a personal preference... try a couple and decide which fits better. And you don't have to worry about compatibility.
      Dax Solomon Umaming<br />http://blog.knightlust.com/

Comment

Ok cool I'll have to give these a try. Especially the build essential stuff cuz im a c++er.

Comment

If you're a C++ user, you'll be happy to learn that the Boost libraries are available for (*)buntu.

Comment

Working...
          X