This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beryl for dislexsicks

Hi, is there some gui install way for beryl as I am hopless at coding, or if not some fairly simple way of doing it.
    every day is a gift

Re: beryl for dislexsicks

Usually, tutorials give instructions for command line, but you can use Adept Package Manager instead. For example:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install beryl beryl-manager emerald-themes
    In Adept you just look up packages beryl, beryl-manager, and emerald-themes and install them.
    In a world without windows and fences who needs Gates?

Comment

I am hopless at coding
      Do you know that generally you don't need to type things into the terminal? Given the code you just copy and paste.

Take Skydancer's code as an example
      sudo apt-get install beryl beryl-manager emerald-themes
      Highlight it as normal. RIGHT click on it and choose COPY. Put the cursor into your terminal. RIGHT click and choose PASTE.

No need to type. No need to spell.
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Even easier - Highlight as normal, put cursor in terminal and middle click. Copied and pasted. A nice little Linux trick.
        I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

thanks, I will give it a try tonight and report back, thanks
          every day is a gift

Comment

OK, I have "beryl setting manager" and "emerald theme manager" installed, but I cannot seem to find the on switch to get it to work, I would like the cube and also water like windows, where or how does one work this out, thanks
            every day is a gift

Comment

Have you rebooted?
              "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
              "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by fleamailman
                I have "beryl setting manager" and "emerald theme manager" installed, but I cannot seem to find the on switch to get it to work
                In a console window type "beryl" (I think) -- if that doesn't do it, type "beryl-manager". You only have to do it once. It will scan your system for glx and compositing, and tell you whether it is happy or not. If so, the red icon will appear on your panel and it will PROBABLY set itself to autostart in your /home/fleamailguy/.kde folder.

Beryl is still technically "beta" so your mileage may vary a bit.....

Comment

thanks, I will give it a try in the morning and report back
                  every day is a gift

Comment

ok, I am still at it, I typed in console beryl, and also beryl manager under sudo su but still nothing seems to happen, how do I get it to go then, there must be an on switch somewhere but for now I cannot get it to work
                    every day is a gift

Comment

Originally posted by fleamailman
                      ok, I am still at it, I typed in console ... under sudo su ...
                      OK, if that is actually what you typed, then this could be the problem. You need to type exactly (or cut from this post and paste in your terminal)

Code:
                      sudo beryl-manager
                      and let us know what happens.

Comment

sudo beryl-manager
                        password:

sudo beryl-manager can not be found

the above was what happened, thanks for helping me though, I have a funny feeling that I am missing a part of the themes and wondering if I really downloaded all I need here
                        every day is a gift

Comment

When you installed the Beryl packages, did you also select beryl-manager?

Comment

Working...
                          X