Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I make a bootable backup image of my Kubuntu system?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I make a bootable backup image of my Kubuntu system?

I´ve been testing Kubuntu on a spare 20GB laptop drive, and I want to:

1) back everything up to a bootable DVD (one or more as needed), and
    2) restore the result onto a newer (read larger - 100+ GB) HD.

Is there a simple and clean way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,
    Kas

Re: How do I make a bootable backup image of my Kubuntu system?

as for a bootable cd, i dunno. Sounds cool though. Let me know what you find out.

But if you want to back up a partition and then restore a partition (on a new drive) give this a read. http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=13735.0

I'm still tryin to figure it out myself. (current project) from what I gather you need a SEPERATE partition with enough free space to hold the image of the partition you want to back up. Once the image is made, it gets zipped (to 1/2 or less original size) and then could be burned onto DVD/a few CDs/or copied onto a fresh drive. I can't offer much more on it, as I'm still working on getting the partitions strait. If you are interested then I'll update you later.
    8)

UPDATE: I got it to work. Yup, I was right about needing enough free space on a second partition to copy the primary partition.
    Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

Re: How do I make a bootable backup image of my Kubuntu system?

Originally posted by kas
      Is there a simple and clean way to accomplish this?
      Provided both harddisks could be connected in parallel to your machine, you could just "disk-dump" the old drive's contents to a part(ition) of the new one (further reading), then install the new system to the new drive's remaining part(itions) of around 80 GB and kick out the old drive.

Comment

Working...
      X