X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lilo drops me to shell ;-(

Hi,

I am installing Kubuntu 5.10 atm managed to get base install done but on reboot I'm dropped to busybox shell....

Lilo.conf is set like this .....

Code:
    image=/mnt/hdb2/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-amd64-generic
        label=Kubuntu64
    #    vga=791
        root=/dev/hdb2
        initrd=/mnt/hdb2/boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-9-amd64-generic
        read-only
    Is there any way I can continue install maybe using install CD or a liveCD maybe ?

Thanks in Advance

DefCon1

Re: lilo drops me to shell ;-(

Well I guess that it must be my fault

I checked when in reduced shell /root has my /home dir from my other distro mounted there ...

Maybe I'll try again in the near future

I guess for every user that has manged to get kubuntu running there must be ten that did not, that makes me very sad

Comment

Why did you choose Lilo? I thought Kubuntu installed Grub (by default)

Comment

Hi,

I use lilo for my other install, but I did during kubuntu install I did try to use grub/lilo but nither installed ..... maybe because install is on my second drive

Anyway I assume you can use lilo but I am unsure if my settings above are correct ....

Booting kubuntu64 seems to drop me to reduced shell in /root my /hda2 is mounted not /hdb2

Is there a way of making hdb2 mount & boot kubuntu ? so at least I can finish install...

Or do I have to reinstall again ;-(

TIA

Comment

Originally posted by DefCon1
          I guess for every user that has manged to get kubuntu running there must be ten that did not, that makes me very sad
          Actually it's very easy to install kubuntu on a clean computer...

Maybe you should try putting the initrd.img and vmlinuz files where you know they can be read. But I don't know how lilo or grub works. /boot sometimes has it's own partition too, but I'm way over my head here.

I don't expect any of this to help you out, but it is what I would have thought of, with my next to nothing linux experience, that is.

Comment

please forgive my last post I was getting very upset at something so simple ...

Is there a way to maybe append root to kernel ie

append = " root=/dev/hdb2" ?

would that help?

Comment

Working...
            X