X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

creating links to to directories through command line and through konquerer

Hi,
    I want to create a link under my home folder that points to a folder on a mounted NAS device. So, for example, I want /home/music to point to /mnt/linkstation/music

I notice there is a command line option ln. But I'm not sure whether directory links are treated differently than file links, and if I need to use different options. I assume I would want to open terminal and enter
    Code:
    ln -T /mnt/linkstation/music /music
    Although I don't know whether I need to include the "/" before music or not, or whether the folder /home/music needs to exist first of not. I also notice that ln has an option for symbolic vs hard. Which would I want to use in this case? What's the difference?

And as if those questions weren't enough, I was also wondering how I would do this directly through konquerer? I notice that if I right click I can select create new -> link to location (url) OR link to application OR link to Device (lots of sub-options). But I have no clue which is the one I would want to use.

Thanks in advance!
    -aleska

Re: creating links to to directories through command line and through konquerer

[quote=aleska]
    I want /home/music to point to /mnt/]

Code:
    ln -s /mnt/linkstation/music /home/music
    Further reading: man ln , hard vs. "soft" links

Comment

Originally posted by aleska
      I assume I would want to open terminal and enter
      Code:
      ln -T /mnt/linkstation/music /music
      Errr... no

Code:
      $ ln -s /mnt/linkstation/music ~/music
      Although I don't know whether I need to include the "/" before music
      It depends. All the unix file structure starts in "/". Also called root directory.

So /home means the home dir in the root "/".

If you write ln -s /mnt/linkstation/music /music that will mean. Link the /mnt/linkstation/music dir to a dir called music in the root directory. That will likely fail, as normal users don't have permission to use the root dir.

If you don't use the / in front of music the path will be relative. I mean ln -s /mnt/linkstation/music music will link that dir into a new dir called musin in whatever dir you are now.

Finally ~ means your home dir. So ~/music/ means a dir called music in my home dir

or not, or whether the folder /home/music needs to exist first of not.
      It should not exist.

I also notice that ln has an option for symbolic vs hard. Which would I want to use in this case?
      You allways want symbolic links. Really.

What's the difference?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_link

And as if those questions weren't enough, I was also wondering how I would do this directly through konquerer? I notice that if I right click I can select create new -> link to location (url) OR link to application OR link to Device (lots of sub-options). But I have no clue which is the one I would want to use.
      No one . All of them will create .desktop files, that are similar to windows shorcuts. Not real links.

Just drag and drop one folder to some place. You will be given 3 options, copy it, move it and link it. Just choose link.

Javier.

Comment

Ohhh.. beaten by that horse again .

BTW, Do you really want to make a link to /home/music or really to /home/myuser/music?

I have assumed the second one.

Javier.

Comment

Excellent! Many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by javierrivera
            beaten by that horse again
            Rather "kicked"

Comment

Naaaa... you get better BAB and damage with the horn:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/unicorn.htm

Javier.

Comment

I prefer Shakespeare (in particular: "The Tempest"):
                "Now I will believe that there are unicorns" ... :P

[img width=400 height=267]http://www.arlekin.ch/freyja.jpg[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X