Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! /etc/resolv.conf Keeps randomly reverting!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! /etc/resolv.conf Keeps randomly reverting!

well, as the title says, my /etc/resolv.conf (the place that holds DNS addresses keeps reverting back to 192.168.1.1

i have a crappy router, so using it as a dns server wont work. I contacted my isp, and they gave me the DSN address for them. I edited my resolv.conf and it worked YAY!
    however, it randomly resets itself back to 192.168.1.1

i thought that setting it to read only with chmod would fix it.. but it didnt. Any ideas? coz this is REALLY annoying.

Re: Help! /etc/resolv.conf Keeps randomly reverting!

Originally posted by f1rem0th
    i thought that setting it to read only with chmod would fix it
    It's supposed to, I'd say ... what does ls -l /etc/resolv.conf result in at present?

Comment

shows r--r--r-- =(
      I tried to do it in the network config, so i changed the dns IP in there... clicked apply... hoping that would help... lo and behold... 25 mins alter... 192.168.1.1 >.<

It's really pissing me off.

Comment

The most likely suspect is the DHCP daemon.

Maybe your router DHCP is setting your DNS to that. Check your router DHCP config.

Javier.

Comment

but if I change that... wont it affect my windows pcs? or what?

Comment

Of course. If your windows PCs are receiving the DNS info from DHCP.

But if you had manually changed their DNS it shouldn't affect them.

I believe that the correct fix is making the router send the ISP dns when asked for a DHCP request. That way it will be fixed for every computer that plugs on your net.

Of course you can also change the way the linux DHCP clients runs. Or even just don't use it and assign it a static IP.

And there is also the possibility that I'm completely wrong and it's not related at all to DHCP.

Javier.

Comment

Lol. rivera... if you were wrong that would defy the laws of physics.

Im at college but when I get home I'll get to fiddlign with my router :P

cheers bro.

Comment

Working...
              X