X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Up To Date Books On Linux, KDE, U/Kubuntu

Hello Everyone,

Any book recommendations that will help me understand the following topics would be appreciated:

Linux in general
    Ubuntu/Kubuntu
    KDE environment
    Developing in Linux (particularly Ruby, Rails, PHP)

I have just installed Kubuntu 6.10 and want to understand not only how KDE works (beyond the offerings in the help center) but how Linux works as well. I want to get under the hood and become as comfortable with Linux as I was with Win2K...

Any advice would be appreciated, Thank you...

Re: Good Up To Date Books On Linux, KDE, U/Kubuntu

Keir wrote a great Ubuntu book - it's current up to Dapper.

Comment

Thanks, dibl!

Comment

Keir Thomas is the author's name -- "Beginning Ubuntu Linux" is the name of his book -- sheesh, I think there was a senior moment there!

Comment

To learn how linux works, few books are as helpful imo, as matt welsh's Running Linux, which i believe is in its fourth edition,,,,but there are free pdfs of earlier editions.....he not only tells you how, but quite often why. Earlier editions ive read covered debian, redhat and suse based distros, but he may have added more current material in the fourth edition. Ubuntu at any rate is quite debian for learning purposes.

check the following link for a veritable library of free on line linux books, including two recent ubuntu books....

http://www.sirdaz.com/lin/

many of the titles are excellent, and the official ubuntu book is a good one ...but you should install xchm or kchm (?!) after you untar/unzip it since it is in that format. Many of the other are PDF.....its worth getting an xchm reader tho for the two ubuntu books.

There's also the very indepth Debian System book by Martin Kraft, which has been well received, tho i havent seen that one online.

enjoy

Comment

PS....another one to look for online or off is The Art of Unix Programming by Eric Raymond....as an excellent overview of programming in the unix/linux world, tho iirc he doest dabble much with markup languages and PHP related issues...more of a backgroud which includes python, perl, and of course the C family et al.....for gits and shiggles, In the Beginning was the Command Line by Neal Stephenson is fun as well...

cheers

Comment

Thank you, slackrat, for the reply. Sorry it took me so long to get back to this post... been fiddling with Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
              X