This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waking the dead

My hard disk died a death on my laptop a while ago. I've bought a new one which is the same ATA 100 interface and fitted it with no problems.
    I am now trying to install Kubuntu 6.10. When I hit the "start/install kubuntu" option it sets off merrily with the loading bar sreen then the install hangs and the CD stops making noises like it's being read.
    The only other thing I've tried is typing live in the custom install option which gets a certain way there and then brings up the line

[17179571.98000] Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)

Mostly I'd like some suggestions as to what I can try but I'd also be interested in finding out what this means (in not excessively technical language if possible).

The machine is a 3yr old Fujitsu Siemens Amilo A with a 2500+ AMD Athlon-M CPU and 256MB RAM. I'm already running the most up to date BIOS available for it.

Re: Waking the dead

According to "Kubuntu 5.10 (i386) on Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A1655G" at http://docs.mht.bme.hu/~balazs/amilo...nFSA1655G.html : "I installed the system with "noapic" and "nolapic" kernel parameters based on the other's advice."
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
    X