• Show
Clear All

Is this forum windows served?

http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastruc...81500835OPCYKE
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Is this forum windows served?

This question has been asked (and answered) before. I know no other way to say it, than to say it: What our host, Open Source, chooses to run Kubuntuforums.net on, is his choice. He charges no membership fees. He, and he alone, is the sole reason that Kubuntuforums.net exists. I for one, and I know that many, many others here as well, are greatful that he does.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

He, and he alone, is the sole reason that Kubuntuforums.net exists. I for one, and I know that many, many others here as well, are greatful that he does.
      Please don't get me wrong, I am as well
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        This question has been asked (and answered) before. I know no other way to say it, than to say it: What our host, Open Source, chooses to run Kubuntuforums.net on, is his choice. He charges no membership fees. He, and he alone, is the sole reason that Kubuntuforums.net exists. I for one, and I know that many, many others here as well, are greatful that he does.

ok. yes i m grateful...but...... but ....dude...... :-X

Comment

Yup, that says it all.... if i used alcohol i'd drink to that.

Comment

...and I feel the need to do a little preventive posting before some of our newer members with well intentions come along and suggest this:

No, we can not donate money to move the forums to a different host. There is no guarantee that donations will continue to come in enough to continue to cover hosting, and OpenSource can't be expected to maintain a different hosting package simply because some "well intentioned" single time donations came in with the expectation of him moving the hosting away from Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
              Please don't get me wrong, I am as well
              Fintan@ I didn't, and don't. I was a bit concerned that my post might be taken the wrong way - that it (might) be a dis toward you. It was not.

Comment

I _am_ concerned about the technical and political implications. I am grateful for Open Source's contribution, as much as the countless hours many folks put here to help other folks run Kubuntu. On the technical side, just look at the server instability (in netcraft, the average uptime is really low, and this weekend there was no forum whatsoever).

What I don't understand is what's the issue with being hosted by Canonical. I know they host Ubuntu Forums, which has its own kubuntu section, which is suboptimal for many reasons. Do we know for a fact that they would not accept to host this domain? We could integrate to some extent with Ubuntu Forums (cross link, etc). But this is obvious, and I think to recall that efforts in this direction did not go very well? Anyone know better? Is it worth trying again?

Thanks!

Comment

Again, what "we/any" of us may think about how KFN may be improved by being hosted on a non-Windows service, is irrelevant. Open Source is fully aware of the concerns of the members here when KFN 'goes down.' But he hosts, he pays, he maintains, he chooses. Let it rest with that.

"He that nips at the hand that feeds him, may eventually find, that the hand is no longer offered."

Comment

"He that nips at the hand that feeds him, may eventually find, that the hand is no longer offered."
                    Well, you make me sound as ungrateful , and I think it is unfair. I come here to feed, no to be fed, in your maxim. If you take 2 minutes to go though my posts, you'll see I am here volunteering. The ratio of "ask for help" to "give help" is about zero for me. So, yes, I can say it again, I appreciate Open Source's work, but I also appreciate my work, and I would like it to be appreciated. As such, I would like my opinion to be valued, not dismissed.

Comment

Imilano@ Again, as with Fintan, the statement is not directed towards you, or any member 'specifically.' It's an aphorism for general consumption only. Please don't take any offense, as none was directed or intended.

Comment

I do have a Linux server that I can host this forum, however it is not dedicated, and I don't know how it would stand up to the amount of traffic we have. It would be a big move and if it couldn't handle it...well then it would be a waste of time, but importantly a large risk of corruption. I did receive a PM from one of our members offering to host the site in another location. I will check that avenue and see if it will work. Thanks for understanding.

OS

PS So sorry for the long delay in responses. I simply have not been online in quite some time and I apologize for not keeping up with these comments.

Comment

By the way as can be seen by the link posted by Fintan, I realize this needs to be resolved ASAP. I will be working on the hosting issues immediately.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X