This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equivalent command for statistics program

I'm looking for a program to do a little bit of statistics (want to run k-means clustering on some data) and found a posting on the ubuntu forums that said one could install some program based on R by running the command
    sudo aptitude install r-recommended
    I was just wondering what the equivalent command should be for Kubuntu (I'm guessing sudo apt-get install r-recommended but want to be sure before running it). Also does anyone know of any other statistics programs that are available in the software repositories (I already use gretl but looking for a good general stats program).

Re: Equivalent command for statistics program

Yes, apt-get install r-recommended just like in Ubuntu.

Octave, scilab, maxima come to my mind as related applications, but I don't think their main focus is statistics.

As you mention k-means clustering - if you're interested in the field of artificial intelligence and/or data minining, make sure to check out yale and weka if you don't know them yet. Both are really great programs to get your hands dirty with all sort of data plotting and analyzing (clustering, classification, plotting, including support vector machines, all sort of bayesian, pca and lda, decision trees in all forms, neural networks and much more). The yale tutorial is really good and gets you started quickly.

Comment

Re: Equivalent command for statistics program

Ran apt-get install r-recommended, it worked fine but it got me to run apt-get -f install to meet some dependencies. I was just wondering what this second command is as it seems very useful, plus its nice to actually understand what you have done. Just in case anyone is also thinking of installing R, I also ran apt-get install rkward which is a gui for it. Looks like the clustering should be easy enough to do. Thanks for the recommendation earthwings, I'll check them out.

Comment

Working...
      X