This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Kubuntu alterntive to the UKUU kernel managment gui

I had been using UKUU, satisfactorily, but the dev has moved to a paid platform.

What can the forum members recommend as a GUI kernel manager?

Yes, I know I can do this from command line, but I'd prefer to have a GUI interface.
    Thanks
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Kittykernel?

Comment

Never heard of it, thanks, I'll investigate.
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I found a .deb file for kittykernel that is 3 years old and fails to install due to unmet dependencies (kubuntu 20.04). Good idea, but appears to use older code.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
          Good idea, but appears to use older code.
          Actually, it appears to use bad code too
          Just for fun, I tried installing it from source - which it did - but it kept complaining about (guess ;·) python modules. I even tried pip-installing the modules, but then it still complained about "undefined symbols".

Nothing else I can find in the way of GUIs. There is a shell script that could be checked out... personally, I would run it on a "test" system first :·/

Comment

@Don Thanks for the additional comments, I'll wait and keep looking for a GUI.

Comment

FYI, I've not been able to find a GUI to handle kernel management under Kubuntu 20.04.
              If anyone knows of such, please point me at it.
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                I had been using UKUU, satisfactorily, but the dev has moved to a paid platform.

What can the forum members recommend as a GUI kernel manager?

Yes, I know I can do this from command line, but I'd prefer to have a GUI interface.
                Thanks
                Not to be crass or offensive, but are you one of the twelve who donated to the UKUU project?
                Ukuu v19.01 is now available with some major changes.
                Starting with this version Ukuu is moving to a paid licensing model instead of accepting donations. A license needs to be purchased to use the app and receive future updates.
                This change was necessary due to lack of donations. The last version of this app (v18.9) had 60,000 downloads, yet only 12 users have donated over the last 2 years. It was not possible for me to continue working on this application for free, and making it paid seemed like a better alternative than discontinuing the project.

If you are one of the few who donated to this project in the past, you will be receiving a free license for the paid version. Please drop me an email if you want one.
                Even if you didn't (tsk, tsk, tsk), the purchase price for the license is only $12.00 and is good for life.

See: https://teejeetech.in/2019/01/20/ukuu-v19-01/
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

@Snowhog, I was aware of the UKUU change in policy, as I noted in my OP above.. No, I am not a contributor.
                  I do find that other distros (Linux Mint is one) offer a GUI kernel manager, but Kubuntu no longer does, so far as I have found.
                  I can live with very infrequent kernel updates, but I would rather be able to use more current kernels.
                  As I also noted, I AM aware that this can be done from the command line. I'd simply rather have a tool which uses a GUI.

Comment

how about.........ukuu?

https://github.com/teejee2008/ukuu/releases

Once GPL, always GPL

The previous release installs and runs in my 20.04

The developer claims 60,000 downloads of this version, and has seen a total of 12 donations over two years.
                    $12 is a bit steep for most people. I'd think it would be (slightly) more acceptable if it were $3-$5. Maybe

Comment

@Claydoh, thanks for the URL. Yes, it still works and I have an archive copy of the .deb for both 64bit and 32bit.

Comment

I installed UKUU from that repo and today it's been nagging me to update to kernel 5.6.4. The system is currently on 5.3.0-46.38, which according to UKUU's list of kernels, seems pretty ancient 5.3.0.46.102 is also installed but not running!
                        Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Beerislife, I'm also getting that repeated nag from UKUU about kernel 5.6.4. I'm currently running kernel 5.4.28

So, I used UKUU to install 5.6.4 BUT DID NOT CHANGE GRUB to use 5.6.4. Let's wait and see what it does.
                          Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Apr 17, 2020, 01:52 AM.

Comment

What I find odd is my current kernel is 5.3.0-46.38 and the other installed, but unused one, is 5.3.0.46.102. The latter appears newer and I had always believed that newer kernels would be automatically selected. Looking carefully I see the former is 0 dash 46 and the latter is 0 dot 46! I need a beer...
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Beerislife; Apr 17, 2020, 01:52 AM.
                            Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Life can be confusing...
                              My system is functional right now, so I'll wait to see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X