X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my weekend project...

I now own no Windows machines

Have 8" Atom Z3735 tablet that came with Win10 and is now happily running Kubuntu 17.10.

Linux support for Bay Trail and Cherry Trail devices kinda really sucks, but linuxium has written a script to respin a *buntu iso to support 32-bit EFI and the RTL8783 wireless chipset.

linuxium's script used to work in Debian but no longer does so I had to *install* that 17.10 iso in a VM to get the respin done. Amusingly, the respin would show a list of available wireless networks but wouldn't connect to any of them; this is the same issue I had with a multiarch Debian install iso. The difference between *buntu and Debian is that a Debian netinstall image is pretty tiny and depends on a network connection. Kubuntu's installer does not and now that it was modified to install a 32-bit EFI the thing installed and ran just fine. Wireless worked just fine after first reboot.

Screen rotation still doesn't work and I haven't installed an onscreen keyboard yet, but things are looking up - at least the tablet doesn't have Windows on it any more
    Last edited by wizard10000; Feb 11, 2018, 02:32 PM.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

qtvirtualkeyboard-plugin I think is what you want

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have a DEll Venue collecting dust. I tried linuxium, but my wifi was not supported.

Comment

actualy maybe "onboard" would be better ,,,,,,the Qt one seems to be a bit hard to get to work, it is available at the login screen but no way to just launch it .

onboard however is a full featured app that works as expected with settings dialog as well

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

What about sound? I have a 10 inch HP convertible with that chipset, and the only thing I could not get working was sound, and maybe bluetooth. I stopped trying a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            What about sound? I have a 10 inch HP convertible with that chipset, and the only thing I could not get working was sound, and maybe bluetooth. I stopped trying a few months ago.
            Haven't played with sound yet but have had it working when booting from an earlier linuxium live image so I know it's possible.
            -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              actualy maybe "onboard" would be better ,,,,,,the Qt one seems to be a bit hard to get to work, it is available at the login screen but no way to just launch it .

onboard however is a full featured app that works as expected with settings dialog as well
              onboard it is. Thanks, Vinny
              -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
                I have a DEll Venue collecting dust. I tried linuxium, but my wifi was not supported.
                Might be time to try again - mine is an RTL8783 and I did have some installer weirdness as mentioned above but after first boot wireless worked just fine.
                -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
                  I now own no Windows machines
                  +1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 And my early nominee for the hopefully-soon-to-be-announced "KFN Post Of The Week"
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
                    Might be time to try again - mine is an RTL8783 and I did have some installer weirdness as mentioned above but after first boot wireless worked just fine.
                    Mine has something called "ralink" I believe.

Comment

Working...
                    X