Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what this annoying Youtube thing is?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know what this annoying Youtube thing is?

Here's a screen shot of this major annoyance indicated with the red arrow.

Every time I play a Youtube video, that annoying thing comes up over the right corner of the video. To make it go away, I have to click on it, exposing a bigger menu,and then click on its X. I had hoped that Adblock Plus would get rid of this, but it doesn't. Is this Youtube's legitimate ad or have I contracted a PUP somehow?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

FWIW, I don't get that in firefox with ABP and NoScript disabled, for that video.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Adblock Plus allows certain things through by default, this may be one of them. uBlock Origin is far better and less of a resource hog.
      If you're sitting wondering,
      Which Batman is the best,
      There's only one true answer my friend,
      It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Were you aware that YouTube offers pay per view and sells movies?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Not until today
          If you're sitting wondering,
          Which Batman is the best,
          There's only one true answer my friend,
          It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            I had heard that. However, this popup happens with every single video. I suspect I've somehow gotten a PUP.

I'll try that uBlock Origin.

Comment

I have used Adblock Plus for about a decade and just switched to uBlock Origin (much better by the way), and this will appear on any and all YouTube videos if you are surfing YouTube without allowing cookies. It is an "annotation". You can disable it on a per video basis by clicking the Gear on the video menu, and still surf without allowing cookies. However, if you are signed in to google, you can go into YouTube settings and turn off annotations globally for all videos.

If you surf google with cookies enabled, but not signed in, you still have to turn off annotations on a per video basis, but you do get to disable autoplay and load comments and it will stick as long as you allow cookies.

Personally I have a second firefox profile that I only use for YouTube or other video sites where I need to be logged in. And my regular FF profile does not allow cookies for google.
              Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

Comment

Originally posted by citizen View Post
                I have used Adblock Plus for about a decade and just switched to uBlock Origin (much better by the way), and this will appear on any and all YouTube videos if you are surfing YouTube without allowing cookies. It is an "annotation". You can disable it on a per video basis by clicking the Gear on the video menu, and still surf without allowing cookies. However, if you are signed in to google, you can go into YouTube settings and turn off annotations globally for all videos.

If you surf google with cookies enabled, but not signed in, you still have to turn off annotations on a per video basis, but you do get to disable autoplay and load comments and it will stick as long as you allow cookies.

Personally I have a second firefox profile that I only use for YouTube or other video sites where I need to be logged in. And my regular FF profile does not allow cookies for google.
                Problem solved, thanks! I've turned off annotations globally because I do have this thing linked to my Google account. I have two separate Youtube accounts, my main one linked to Google and another one that I only access with the Opera browser, which is not linked. I use the latter for making comments. I do it this way because I got tired of being notified that someone had replied to my comment. If I'm working, I don't need to be notified all day long every time someone responds to one of my comments. It gets challenging sometimes getting these technologies to stop bugging us, doesn't it? I uninstalled the Facebook application from my phone because all day long it would pester me every time someone responded to one of my posts or a friend posted a picture of her cat or whatever. I guess some people like being notified of every little thing all day long, but I don't. Anyway, those Youtube notifications are gone now, and that's another step in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                X