This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm giving up on Kubuntu

I've reinstalled Kubuntu 3 times in the last 3 days. I keep getting locked out of KDE wrong password. I've tried to change passwords on root with no luck. it seems that 6.06 is not that stable.
    Is there anyway I can still back-up what I have so the start over would take so long? It seems that Kubuntu installed in my root partition, the reason that I can't put more in Vmware or any place else. I had select hda 5 for the install not hda2. If there isn't a how to fix by morning I'm going back to Xandros.

Re: I'm giving up on Kubuntu

Originally posted by Scott
    I've reinstalled Kubuntu 3 times in the last 3 days. I keep getting locked out of KDE wrong password.
    Sounds quite odd, especially if you can't fix it by resetting the password in the recovery mode (I assume this is what you meant by 'change passwords on root'). Does this happen right from the start...or after you've had a working installation for a while?

I guess it might be a problem with the ownership/permissions of ~/.ICEauthority and ~/.Xauthority (it should be owned by user and rw only for user). However, with the available information it is hard to determine.

it seems that 6.06 is not that stable.
    Well I've had very few problems on my own systems, but that doesn't mean there aren't problems on your setup/hardware combination.

Is there anyway I can still back-up what I have so the start over would take so long?
    That sort of depends on what you mean, if you wish to save your personal configurations on reinstallation, having a separate home partition might be a good idea (just remember to mount it to home and not format it in case of a reinstallation)
    That said, there rarely is (or should be) a need for a reinstallation on a linux system, as most (if not all) problems should be solvable without reinstallation (even if the solution is sometimes hard to find)

It seems that Kubuntu installed in my root partition, the reason that I can't put more in Vmware or any place else. I had select hda 5 for the install not hda2.
    Hmm, I'm a bit confused about what you mean...all distributions install themselves on the root partition...just that you can choose what the root partition will physically be. Do you mean it installed on a primary partition (hda2) instead of a logical partition (hda5)?

If there isn't a how to fix by morning I'm going back to Xandros.
    Sometimes trying out another distro (Xandros, Mepis etc.) is not actually a bad idea, it can give you a bit of perspective of what is good/bad in kubuntu...it also can help you troubleshoot whether your problem is kubuntu-, kde- or hardware-based, for example.

Of course I'm hoping you find a solution, even though with the information I got I can't offer you a definitive answer, perhaps someone else or google can. It might also help if you give out more information (like whether you can log in from the command line, whether you can login if you create a new user etc.)

Comment

Re: I'm giving up on Kubuntu

kubicle: As I mentioned in my post this is a new install. I think I found the problem, but how to fix it is the question. I looks like Kubuntu installed in my ./ partition (5G) and I ran out of space. I would like to copy at least my vmware XP install. don't think I can save my Kubuntu install. I'm way over my head right now. I also think this part of the security issues that I'm having. If you got any ideas thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X