This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing between 32 or 64 bit version

I'm currently using Kubuntu 12.04 at 32bit, but my hardware architecture is at 64 bit.

Since I'm going to upgrade to 14.04, which version should I choose?

Is there a sensible difference in the number of available packages between the two versions? Is it possible, if needed, to use 32bit software on a 64bit system?

And, since I have an ATI Radeon graphic card, fglrx drivers have the same support and performances over the two architectures?
    Last edited by sekhemty; Apr 17, 2014, 02:23 PM.

I would recommend 64 bit as it has been the main focus of development for a good number of years, and is rock solid, no difference from 32 bit in terms of driver support, 64 bit may even have a slight edge overall.

If unsure still, 32 bit is fine.

Comment

No reason to choose 32 bit if you have a 64 bit CPU.

Please Read Me

Comment

32 bit would be a release upgrade, but 64 bit a reinstall. Little difference for those who upgrade by reinstalling habitually, but a release upgrade is potentially simpler.
        Also, if you want to run apps using more than 4 GiB of memory, 64 bit would be necessary, though I imagine that's rare. (32 bit Linux on x64 processors can use more than 4 GiB, I think).

Regards, John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          32 bit Linux on x64 processors can use more than 4 GiB, I think)
          You are correct, 32bit Kubuntu uses the PAE kernel which allows more than 4GB of RAM (4 to 64). I too agree with everyone about moving to 64bit if you can.
          Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
          tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

To expand slightly: If you stay with 32 bit you're fine, but not enjoying the full capabilities of your CPU. If you do things like encode or edit video, rip CD's, process large databases, play intense graphical games, running 10 or more processes at a time, etc., you will notice a large improvement using 64 bit. If you're just doing email, internet browsing, and playing solitaire you won't notice any difference at all.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for all your advices, I think that I will go for 64.

Comment

Working...
              X