This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U3 systems on USB sticks anoing or cool

So I started checking in to ways to manipulate a U3 systems "enhanced" (mater of opinion) USB sticks the other day after reading a post about the anoing virtual cd drive on one of these sticks.
    I have 1 a Sandisk cruiser 4Gig ......... the complant the poster had was the unwanted use of space the virtuall cd took on the drive and NO way to remove it.

well I found a way........It turns out that theirs a package in the standard repos called u3-tool ............ hears the -h

mint@mint ~ $ u3-tool -h
    u3-tool 0.3 - U3 USB stick manager

Usage: u3-tool [options] <device name>

Options:
    -c Change password
    -d Disable device security
    -D Dump all raw info(for debug)
    -e Enable device security
    -h Print this help message
    -i Display device info
    -l <cd image> Load CD image into device
    -p <cd size> Repartition device
    -R Reset device security, destroying private data
    -u Unlock device
    -v Use verbose output
    -V Print version information

For the device name use:
    '/dev/sda0', '/dev/sg3'
    mint@mint ~ $

However insted of remaking the cd partition to say 1 or 0 bites ...........I pumped it up to 700Mib and then loaded the linux mint 9 fluxbox .iso on it 8)

took it to the test box ....pluged it in rebooted............hit the boot menu key (F10) chose cd picked the Sandisk cruiser it was showing and wala .....it booted the usb as if it was a cd drive...............it runs great and I'm posting this from it
    the rest of the drive shows up in Thunar as expected and can be used for storage wile running in the live environment..............sweet.

any way gust thought I'd post the INFO in case anyone else was having the issue

☯VINNY☯

PS: ya ya I know.........why dident you put Kubuntu on it vin.........well simply put....... it was just what was handy at the time
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Re: U3 systems on USB sticks anoing or cool

Sweet. 8)
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I supose I should add that when you resize the cd partition the data partition gets destroyed and must be repartitioned and formated .......... it dose say so in the man pages and I would assume anyone that would attempt it would be wise enuff to view them at least

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

well vinny that almost makes the U3 system cool. although i can just use the usbcreator to make a bootable disk and store stuff in that usb drives / with no issues. but its not as clean looking as that would be for storage.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I'm not sure "cool" is the word I would have used. Funny the Vinny posted this now as I have been going through this just this week. I had 2 SanDisk USB drives - 1 4gb, 1 8gb. Both had been reformatted but I use Linux on my personal system and that other OS (who's name shall not be spoken) and both would pop up with that annoying US stuff whenever they were plugged into those other machines. I eventually found the u3-tool but it always generated errors when I tried to use it. I assumed it was because I fdisked the thumb drives before using u3-tool.

No matter, in both cases despite the error messages u3-tool threw the right "switch" and I recovered a few hundred MB on both drives. I then partitioned them with fdisk in dos-compat mode (allowing full sector usage) and went on my merry way...

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X