This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Which partitions should I put on my SSD[SOLVED]

I just got a brand new 64GB SSD; I'm planning to put- root, /usr, and /boot on it; keeping SWAP & /home on my (600GB) HDD.

Does anyone have any advice on File-Systems or anything else, I plan to use Ext3 for everything?
    Registered Linux User 545823

Re: Which partitions should I put on my SSD

There's lots of data out there on what's the best thing to do.

If it's a new technology SSD, there's not much reason to be shy - put whatever on it you wish. If it's high performance, why not put swap on it? The new SSD's have 50 yr life spans so I wouldn't worry about that much. I wouldn't use EXT3 for anything - but thats my personal preference.

I've tried ext4, btrfs, reiserfs, nilfs on mine - performance gains are quite variable. It really depends on use. Basically - with current SSD's all you need to do is turn off atime functions to reduce unnecessary access and have at it!

My new wish list includes 4 50gb hi-perf OCZ SSD's in a RAID0. Of course, that means my wife gets a new tennis bracelet - but what the heck? I mean - look at her!!! lol

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin
      I just got a brand new 64GB SSD; I'm planning to put- root, /usr, and /boot on it; keeping SWAP & /home on my (600GB) HDD.

Does anyone have any advice on File-Systems or anything else, I plan to use Ext3 for everything?
      Just my opinion but there's no reason I can think of to have three separate partitions on the SSD - I haven't used a /boot partition in years. On a workstation I don't think there's much of a need for a separate /usr partition either. On servers I generally put /home and /var and occasionally /tmp on separate partitions but the reason for that is to keep a runaway process from filling up /tmp or /var/log and trashing the filesystem.

I'd put root on the SSD and /home and swap on the mechanical disk. There's nothing stopping you from putting swap on the SSD and it might even be a good idea if you intend to hibernate the machine, but in a perfect world swap isn't gonna get used anyway, so in my mind it'd be better to make sure the machine's got enough RAM and just put swap on the mechanical disk.

cheers -
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

I don't know why you would do anything more complicated than installing all of Kubuntu on it, including a swap partition of sufficient size to support S2RAM (i.e. a little bigger than RAM). Then, just symlink your data directories into the /home/jpenguin folder. The installer should set up your other partitions to be mounted automatically, but if it does not, just edit /etc/fstab to set them up to be mounted at boot time.

Comment

I deciced on this

I'll put SWAP & /home on the HDD; root on the SSD. No separate partition for/boot or /usr

BTW-- I have 4GB 0f RAM
          B5TW2-- The SSD is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
          X