This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FAT32 labels at Konsole?

Anyone know how to set FAT32 labels at Konsole--a straightforward way?

Installing mtools is OK by me, BUT I do NOT care to edit config files for drive-path details!
    Any other (safe) way you know of for FAT32?

ext2/ext3 is easy
    sudo e2label /dev/sdXn the_label

Also, the newer GParted Live CD's set labels (Partition > Label).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Re: FAT32 labels at Konsole?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=365661

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=65830

Comment

@Qqmike: The simplest way I found, that doesn't require installation of any tools/packages, is to just edit the /etc/blkid.tab file and change the appropriate line(s) LABEL= entries accordingly. I did, and it works like a charm.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks to both of you.

@pansz:
        The first link gives a command which also formats the USB; thus, it won't work for a USB partition that already has something on it.
        The second link works, but it is the one I found and didn't like -- you have to edit the cong file to include a drive path (which might not always be the same). -- Very interesting command, though!

@Snowhog:
        This is for removable, auto-mounted devices; thus fstab is not in the game (at least not reliably, AFAIK).

Thanks, again.

New versions of GParted Live CD does it, including changing a label after a partition is already is use. Just gotta re-boot into it is all ... not always convenient.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X