Clear All

Different Linux distributions on an (let's say not so new) laptop

Hello everybody,

I recently acquired a laptop that was used a bit. Not today's hardware:
    Intel Celeron M 1500 MHz
    256 - 16 MB RAM
    16 - 32 MB integrated VIA graphics card
    40 GB Hard disk.

I have tried running all versions of Kubuntu I had. They were too laggy to work anything.
    Then I tried Ubuntu 8.04 it was IMPOSSIBLE to work with it. It was so slow.
    Then I tried PCLinuxOS 2007 KDE edition. It ran perfectly as if I had a new PC. According to my superkaramba widget It used about 64 MB of RAM.

Now can anyone explain this? On the first look both distros run KDE 3 with almost identical software (the only apparent difference of one being Deb based, another RPM based).

Why is this? Is there's something I'm missing? I've been using Kubuntu for almost two years now, never realizing that there could be such a difference.

Now I mostly use my laptop with PCLinuxOS, and sometimes dual booting win xp (I need it only for autocad 2004, wine doesn't run it)

Did anyone else had felt such a huge difference between Linux Distros? Would be nice if you shared your experience.

Cheers, Gediminas
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Re: Different Linux distributions on an (let's say not so new) laptop

Perhaps it's a graphics driver issue. I have an old laptop, worse specs than yours. MANY MANY distros failed. The ones that worked were PCLinuxOS on a 'transplanted' hard drive (once I reconfigured the X server), SuSE, Knoppix, and KANOTIX (but using the older kernel) which I have installed now. I think Debian Etch will work as well, but Lenny doesn't (haven't tried sid)

So yeah. There will be some machines that ubuntu just won't work right with. You can spend hours trying to get it to work, or you can spend hours trying different distros...

You could check the graphics driver you're using. If it's something like 'vesa' or 'fbdev' then that could explain some of the slowness, try changing it to the driver specific to your card (but be prepared for it to break X ie know how to edit at the command line)
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

I don't even want to try Ubuntu to check the driver. It cant be causing such things as:

After the splash the desktop background took ~ 2 min to load
      after that ~ 2 minutes loading of the bar with apps.

I tried different drivers on PCLinuxOs, they don't cause such behavior.
      Well, I don't really have much time now, maybe I'll check more distros later
      Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Well, if PCLinuxOS is working well, stick with it. I used it for a while. It's alright, though rpm is definitely inferior to deb. But you don't need to use the package manager that much anyway.
        I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Yeah, I'm staying with it. It also has apt-get, so no transition problems or need to learn new stuff or whatsoever
          And after using the Laptop with PCLinuxOS i realized i have working wireless

Comment

Working...
          X