Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu Hardy Heron with KDE 3 or KDE 4?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Hardy Heron with KDE 3 or KDE 4?

So, are you using KDE3 or KDE4 version of Hardy Heron?

Myself I am using KDE3, I think I want something stable, yet I am a little disappointed at the prevalence of some bugs which have been bothering me also in earlier releases.

I am considering moving on to KDE4 since I seem to spend significant time fixing up and working around bugs anyway, and because there are some sutpidifying elements added in KDE 3.5.9 that I don't approve of. (Like: I made my "music" folder in my initial dapper install 2 years ago. Now KDE comes along with a "Music" folder.....really clever! It is just as in MS Win XP...)

For me, the lure of switching to KDE4 is to avoid having to customize KDE3.5.9 and then customize KDE 4 after that.
    KDE 3
    0%
    KDE 4
    0%

Re: Kubuntu Hardy Heron with KDE 3 or KDE 4?

Originally posted by heinkel_111
    Like: I made my "music" folder in my initial dapper install 2 years ago. Now KDE comes along with a "Music" folder.....really clever! It is just as in MS Win XP...
    Sorry but that is in the KDE4 version as well. Actually I imagine its a *ubuntu 8.04 thing and not a kde thing at all.
    If it's any consolation it annoys the hell out of me too!

Personally though I will be sticking with KDE3 for just a little longer. 4 does show a lot of promise but it just doesn't yet have the vast number of little customizations that are the reason I choose KDE. I imagine it should be just a matter of waiting a while longer though.

Comment

Actually I imagine its a *ubuntu 8.04 thing and not a kde thing at all.
      It is Freedesktop thing :

Kubuntu Hardy Catchup tells:
      https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuHardyCatchup
      XDG Home Dirs

We should support the XDG Home Dirs spec in Kubuntu. http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs

Patches are available from Mandriva for kdelibs. xdg-dirs-document-path to set KDE's global Desktop and Documents directory. speedbar-xdg-user-dirs to add the directories to the file open and save dialogues.

Add xdg-user-dirs to the desktop seed to create directories on first run. Patch xdg-user-dirs to create .directory files in each directory to specify the relevant icon (the relevant icons should come from speedbar-xdg-user-dirs).

Alter applications to use the relevent directory by default. Amarok to use Music, Kaffeine to use Video, Digikam to use Photos, KOffice to use Documents, Konqueror to Downloads.

We have decided not to add entries to the Kicker System Menu.

These patches should be ported to KDE 4.
      Disable: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs
      Settings

Sysadmins can configure things by editing /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf. At the moment there are only two settings, you can disable the whole thing, and you can specify the charset encoding used for filenames. They can also set or change the default directories and their initial values in /etc/xdg/user-dirs.defaults.
      /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf
      # This controls the behaviour of xdg-user-dirs-update which is run on user login
      # You can also have per-user config in ~/.config/user-dirs.conf, or specify
      # the XDG_CONFIG_HOME and/or XDG_CONFIG_DIRS to override this
      #

enabled=True
      => False

Default foldernames are in the /etc/xdg/user-dirs.defaults
      # Default settings for user directories
      #
      # The values are relative pathnames from the home directory and
      # will be translated on a per-path-element basis into the users locale
      DESKTOP=Desktop
      DOWNLOAD=Desktop
      TEMPLATES=Templates
      PUBLICSHARE=Public
      DOCUMENTS=Documents
      MUSIC=Music
      PICTURES=Pictures
      VIDEOS=Videos
      # Another alternative is:
      #MUSIC=Documents/Music
      #PICTURES=Documents/Pictures
      #VIDEOS=Documents/Videos
      Change folder names (for a user):
      edit ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
      # This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update
      # If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
      # interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run
      # Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
      # homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
      # absolute path. No other format is supported.
      #
      XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/...

Earlier:

Topic: Dislike.... new directories.
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3092603.0

Topic: [SOLVED] Another Stupid Question - but please answer if u can
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091611.0

Using KDE 3.5 now. Maybe it will change when 4.1 is out... Intrepid Release Schedule, Plans...
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Maybe if there was a repository with kde4.1 instead of kde4.0... for HH.

Comment

Hi Rog131, that was a very informative reply. I learned a lot, and will now go ahead an customize that system so I can use my already established folder names. Maybe it is not so evilstupid as I once thought it was. Since this is OT I will write something flaming about "helpfulness that actually isn't" in application and OS design somewhere else when I am more infuriated.

Comment

Thought I would try KDE 4 but not as my main system. Now as I still use a CRT monitor with KDE 3.xx I can go to system settings and select the monitor so I can get a decent refresh rate. With KDE 4 I install and it sets screen size to 1024x768 which is what I use and it flickers something horrible at 50hz refresh. I install the nVidia driver so I can change it but after that all I can get is a screen size of 640x480 and 50hz refresh. I have no way to change the monitor as that is what the problem is. Where did all the system settings go? Things like attaching all my other hard drive partitions etc. I usually have it auto login but when I go to that section it is grayed out and there is no Administrator mode. This is only a small list but the most important at this time to me. Maybe 4.1 has better promise as I have seen some videos taken of it. It looks real smart.

Comment

Working...
            X