This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major problems installing on Presario C700T

So I just got a new laptop today and I've been spending all day researching these problems but it seems another problem always pops up. Initially when I put in the 7.04 live cd and tried to boot it up I got an error that said, "/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off" I managed to get past this by hitting f6 on the main screen and adding "break=top" then "modprobe piix" and "exit" at the command line and all was well and good for a while until another error came up that said, "failed to start xserver" So I thought I fixed this by entering, "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and again this worked for a while until I got to the step where it says, "Desired default color depth in bits" and I select 24 and a console opens up at the bottom and says, "xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configureation file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080226232901 dexconf: error: cannot generate configureatio file; xserver-xorg.config/display/modes not set. Aborting. Reconfigure the X server with "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" to correct this problem. xserver-xorg postinst warning: error while preparing new Xorg X server configuration file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.dpkg-new; not attempting to update existing configuration" So why not? I try the same thing again and the same error in the same place. At this point I was frustrated and went and got the 6.06 live cd. I got the same initial error but I was able to get onto the desktop by using the "break=top..." solution safe graphics mode but then when I got to the desktop the cursor wasn't configured right at all and if I just touched the touch pad the cursor would zip all around the screen and I had no control. Anyways I got to the install on the desktop using my keyboard and got as far as the partitioning which after I click next it just stops and doesn't go forward and won't allow me to to go back, I don't have any blank discs so I have the 7.10 live cd shipit'd but that will take weeks and I still have no guarantee that will work. Somebody please bail me out here, I can't figure this out. Somebody please help, Vista is killing me.

Re: Major problems installing on Presario C700T

Kouy,

I don't know if I can help you...or if it is too late to help you...
    but for anyone to help you we need some info.

Have you tried the 7.04 livecd on any other machine?
    If that works, then...
    we need the specs on your machine
    cpu
    ram
    audio card
    video card
    etc.

or have you been able to load this?

God Bless
    Doug
    Malachi 3:10 ESV <br />...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...<br /><br />Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

Comment

Working...
    X