This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remastering Kubuntu 7.10

Kubuntu folks, looking for your next project? Look no further my friends ...

I'll post this in case someone knows something about this trade or otherwise can make it work. On one careful first try, I did not get this to work. Maybe it won't work for Kubuntu, but only for Ubuntu (Gutsy) & Mint. Note that you will probably have to burn the built iso to a DVD as the iso file will quite likely be more than 700 MB (mine was almost 800 MB). Use K3b, of course. And, of course, take some time to setup your hard drive Kubuntu with some personal configurations and installed programs (like Thunderbird, Firefox, etc.). Post back if you get some insights into it.
    (btw, when I re-booted to test the newly built live CD, it stalled at the Kubuntu progress bar screen. -- fyi.)

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Re: Remastering Kubuntu 7.10

Ooops. This topic is well on its way over at the Community Cafe (Social/Casual).
    Guess I better go read it. We are one smokin' bunch.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089356.0
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I don't know if this is what u need

http://www.livedistro.org/resources/...tomization-kit

Hoping that link will ne helpful

Best Regards,

MepisReign
      Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

Thanks; if I pursue this, I'll check into that site. maybe the remastering guys will be interested in seeing your post as well. --Mike

Comment

Hi all,

I quite fancy getting involved in a remastering project. Did something like that on MEPIS and feel reasonably confident on a number of things. However, my programming skills are not adequate in that all I am capable of is writing a bash script which is an accumulation of commands.

The ubuntu customisation kit is very basic but a good starting point.

Reconstructor does have a module for kde, but is laid out for usplash and gdm only. All attempts on my part to get involved on the kde front have fallen on deaf ears, so I guess they are busy with whatever at the mo (shame!).

That is it, really...

What would be nice is to write a script which
          • checks you are root
          • checks whether you have all necessary debs installed
          • asks you where you want to remaster (i.e. which directory)
          • asks you for iso/cdrom path
          • creates directory structure
          • does all the necessary mounting/copying outside chroot
          • gives you X for chroot environment
          • mounts proc and sys in chroot
          • keeps a record of everything you done in chroot
          • cleans up automatically after you
          • gets you out of chroot to ask where you want your iso to be placed and what it ought to be called
          • creates squashfs and iso

Any takers?
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
          X