Clear All

Home file sever anyone?

This tidbit may be of interest for those of us needing a home file server:

http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu-home-fileserver
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Home file sever anyone?

I am very interested in setting up a home network, as it would make my work a lot easier. But I cannot get wireless file sharing working in Linux, so I have no hope that a file server would be successful.

When the issues with wireless file sharing are solved, I would definitely do this!

Comment

This may be of some help:
      http://www.linuxtoday.com/search.php...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Fintan,
        Forgive me for this, but I have spent so much time and effort trying "easy" and "simple" solutions for wireless, and none have worked. So I am very hesitant to try something new if I cannot be assured it will work.

Can you tell me which of those pages you referenced has a good solution?

I am sure that one day it will work!

Thanks,
        Matt

Comment

This http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005985 does not mention wireless but would be helpful.
          Reg Kubuntu user 19940

Comment

And (or) Linux Wireless Networking
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I was just about to paste your post here from "Help the new guy". LOL
              Reg Kubuntu user 19940

Comment

Ah, but the 'flaming head' is FAST!!
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You know how Windows XP and Vista have a 10 connection limit, does Ubuntu have that, i dont think so, even the standard non-server version probably wouldnt since Linux doesnt have restrictions...
                  My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RealG187
                    You know how Windows XP and Vista have a 10 connection limit, does Ubuntu have that, i dont think so, even the standard non-server version probably wouldnt since Linux doesnt have restrictions...
                    I hate to be a downer here, but the connection limit is not much of an issue if you cannot even establish a wireless connection. Before the Linux community starts talking about the number of connections, I think we have to get basic wireless functioning down. Take a look at Linux discussion boards, and you will see that wireless file sharing is an unsolved problem for most users.

Comment

But is there one?
                      My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X