This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux book--one of the best software books I've seen

I hesitated to post this because you never quite know how someone will read see the same things you see in a book. So, as usual, buyer beware and YMMV.

Peter van der Linden's Guide to Linux August 18, 2005
    http://www.amazon.com/Peter-van-Lind...8167919&sr=1-1

It is dated 8/2005, but then, many good books are a couple years old, and I don't feel it is a show-stopper in this case. Also, it uses Linspire as its example (same as Freespire for many purposes, sorta), but that's not a show-stopper either -- it is KDE & Debian focussed, which is what counts for Kubuntu people. Also, it is true that in technical areas, it is difficult to find one, single book that does the trick, fully, for you. Having said that, it is the only Linux book I have purchased thus far, not by intent, but because it was all I needed to get started and then use other Internet resources.

Having said all that by way of preface and caveat . . .

This is one of the best "computer" books I've ever read.
    He starts from scratch, covers the basics, leads you into intermediate topics, and gives you a peek at some advanced topics. He makes it interesting, fun, and fills you in on "Linux lore," some of the history and Linux folklore. The book gives you a solid foundation and makes you want to use Linux and to learn more.

Examples of topics, in addition to many, many basics & the standard stuff: installation and boot, dual booting, system administration (a basic intro), BIOS and device drivers, hardware compatibility, commands and files, utilities, disk basics, partitioning, MBR, GRUB, troubleshooting, encryption, installing software, multimedia, filesystems, CDs, DVDs, common applications, Web and email, KDE Desktop, the bad things about Window XP... a loaded 600 pages.

It's the kind of book that is fun to read and it gives you enough to (1) do what it is you are trying to do, and/or (2) know what your next steps are and the words and concepts you need to take those steps (e.g., use Internet resources). If you are looking for an overly technical book for System Administration, this is not it. If you are looking for a solid, fun, Linux book to use as an introduction--through a solid intermediate+ level understanding--this is one to budget for. If you are concerned whether he's planning a new edition soon, you could email him (google search on the author, or go to Linspire, or the publisher). Frankly, his book, just as it is, 8/2005, is well worth $28 (Amazon, qualifies for Free Shipping). (btw, I have no commercial interest in it) See the Amazon reviews.

I've seen lots of new people posting, asking for some get-started basics plus more, and this qualifies as one excellent candidate.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski
Working...
X