X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Question

Hello everyone,

I'm new to linux and have a question that is probably a dumb one. Right now I have 2 harddrives in my desktop computer. One holds only the Windows XP operating system. The other holds everything else; applications, games, music. If I install Kubuntu on the HD over Windows XP will all my applications still be recognized/run? If not, is there a way (some kind of program or something) to make them associate and work correctly?

Thanks,
    The Super Noob

Re: Quick Question

You probably want to do a dual-boot setup so that you still have Win XP and Linux. This Link should be of assistance to you.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Windows applications will not work under Linux (if i understand correctly what you want to do: replace your current Win XP operating system with Kubuntu, but keep your Windows applications). Some of them will work under Wine (which is an application that works as a compatibility layer for WIndows programs).

Personally, i'd recommend you install Kubuntu next to your current OS, not replace it completely (see the link in Snowhog's post). This way, until you get used to it, you can still go back to your familiar applications.

Comment

Thank you guys so much for the info. Probably just saved me a lot of headaches. Running duel operating systems should work for the moment.

Comment

Working...
        X