X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A huge smile on my face

I have had MS products on my computers since Windows 3.1

A few years back I tried to get into learning Linux by testing out the most friendly distro at the time which seemed to be Mandrake. After two days I was completely frustrated and before swearing to never touch Linux again I shouted something to the effect "Why do they insist on making everything so complicated!"

Last week I decided to take another crack at it. After some research I installed Kubuntu 7.04. I could not be more pleased. It is free, all the apps are free, almost everything worked out of the box, and all of my computing needs are being served.

The few questions I have had have been answered by friendly people here on the forums and now I am sitting here feeling extremely satisfied and very grateful.

A huge thanks to those who have developed and continue to work on Kubuntu and those here on the forums who have been helping answer my questions.

God Bless and Thank You

Re: A huge smile on my face

Me too, I tried many different distro before, most of them comes with tons of apps that I don't need, there are 3 or more same kind of apps come with it and I can't remove them easy, this take up unnecessary large disk space and takes long time to install. I came across Ubuntu last year, I don't like it's look at first, but after I try it out I can't resist, it is clean and easy to use, what's more is it is Debian based, the deb packaging system difficult to use at first, but after you get use to it you will see it's power, my opinion it is better than the RPM system with better dependency management.
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

Hi.

I have to add my agreement with your 'tribute' to the community, not just Kubuntu but the entire Linux camp too. I feel these guys ('n girls) bring a breath of fresh air in an otherwise 'grab grab' world.

Great stuff.
      Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
      GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
      Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Had to add a "me too" post here. I too tried Mandrake back in 2004 or so - first Linux install and that was on HP laptop. It took me a week or more to get everything right, and still some problems were unsolved, like the 3d acceleration and cpu power management, let alone the volume buttons etc.

After that I've tried Suse and Centos but fortunately I decided to give Kubuntu a chance. Absolutely the best distro I've tried. I love the package manager (adept).

Comment

BUMP!

Totally loving my install once I took my time and learned what I was doing!

I have yet to completely submerse myself, and probably won't for some time, but gradually I keep adding functionality to my linux boot that keeps me another day away from rebooting into Windows.

Been over a week since I restarted into Windows - couldn't be happier!

Comment

Right on bud. I have only had Linux on my system for coming up on two weeks now and from what I have seen and learned thus far i will not ever be going back to Windows. I have been playing around with a couple of different distros (right now I am using Mandriva 2007 Spring) and between Kubuntu, Mandriva and OpenSuse I prefer all three to Windows and will not be going back.

Still trying to decide which one I will be using long term though ... so far Mandriva has been rock solid stable and given me a great out of the box experience.

Comment

Here's my .02 worth -

I myself will not consider using a distro that signed a pact with the devil - microsoft. Never tried Mandriva, but did use pclinuxos for awhile and it worked great. Moved to Kubuntu and am totally happy with it. Standard release cycles, help ALL over the place, good folks on the forums, etc...

I would suggest taking Kubuntu for a ride for a month or 2 and see how it feels to you. But whatever you decide, bottom line is you're using Linux.

Good luck to you.
              txWingMan

Comment

I really do like Kubuntu. The only reason I decided to try something else was that after using it for a few days I found it buggy and unstable. I was not sure if it was the current release or an issue with some of my hardware. I love the way Kubuntu is layed out, everything I wanted to do was straight forward and easy to figure out. I just had apps crashing a lot and it seemed buggy to me. It may very well have been something I did ... still lots to learn.

Mandriva I like less but it has been flawless on my system and completely stable. My kids are nagging me to put Kubuntu back on though as they liked the look and feel of it better.

Comment

My two Rappen ("swiss cent"):

Give Kubuntu 06.10 (alternate installer) a try it might be a little dated (?) - but, at least from my experience, it is better (read: more stable) than the current "stable" release ...

Comment

Working...
                  X