Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Survey and Open question about security in kubuntu and generally linux...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Survey and Open question about security in kubuntu and generally linux...

Hello,
    I'm doing a school talk for the university and I need your opinion about this question.
    Do not hesitate to detail your personnal opinion in this post.
    Thank's!!!!
    Yes, that's essential
    0%
    That's important but not essential
    0%
    No, totally useless
    0%
    I don't know
    0%
    I don't have opinion about it
    0%

Re: Survey and Open question about security in kubuntu and generally linux...

It's totally useless for home use.

In the other hand it's incredible useful on a mail server.

Javier.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most viruses and malwares are created for Windows, and only works in Windows. So I agree with javierrivera.

Comment

Completely agree with Mr. Rivera, it is essential on a mail server environment since the end user most probably will open the emails with Outlook or other Windoze mail client :P

Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

Read this:
          http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/security
          Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

My PC isn't a mail server, nor is my laptop.

Comment

If it's possible, laptop users should be able to have a way to "totally lock-down" the computer until further notice.

Anti-virus as an optional package in today's Ubuntu is not necessary but worth including if they can, in the future, it will definately be needed, because more users will be coming, and want to "feel protected".

Comment

Originally posted by jason70v
                Hello,
                I'm doing a school talk for the university and I need your opinion about this question.
                Do not hesitate to detail your personnal opinion in this post.
                Thank's!!!!
                Much more important, from the perspective of the home user, is protection against rootkits.

Therefore I use chkrootkit and rkhunter, together with snort.

Comment

If it's possible, laptop users should be able to have a way to "totally lock-down" the computer until further notice.
                  On the right hand side near the front of my laptop there is a switch with an LED to turn on/off the wireless/bluetooth network card which is a common feature on laptops, if that's not total lock-down then what is?
                  Of course you can always deactivate hardware or network connections with software, or use iptables.
                  Or did you mean something else by lock-down?

Comment

I believe that he is talking about physically loosing the computer (robbery, bad memory or why you shouldn't take your PDA with you when you are expecting to drink).

Javier.

Comment

Yeah, I was talking about physical loss.

Something to maybe lock you down to BIOS, unless you know the password, and even then, you need the OS's password(s).

Heh, maybe someone should sell a device kit to go with it ;P

Comment

Oh. Physical loss of a computer is a problem but you can stop people from booting an OS. If you go into your bios setup program there should be an option for passwords, change it from setup to a password and when the computer starts it will show a screen where you'll have to enter the password to do anything including enter the bios setup. The only way around this is to clear the CMOS which is a complete bitch with laptops.

Comment

Working...
                        X