Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Start KDE neon in OEM mode? And 'update this installer'?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start KDE neon in OEM mode? And 'update this installer'?

When installing KDE neon 18.04, in "Select Operating System", there were two options:
    Start KDE neon
    and
    Start KDE neon (OEM mode)

I chose the first option but what is the second option about?

Second, when on the first tab,Language, during installation, there was this:
    You may wish to update this installer.

What's that about? I didn't click on that link and, AFAICT, the install was successful.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Installing in OEM mode leaves the pc as if it was store bought. When the owner/user starts it up they have to answer the location, language and other set-up questions to configure the system. It's a slick way to set up a system for someone else.

https://youtu.be/3lu-2xqrYvk
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Thanks, SpecialEd! Very well explained. This is the first time I noticed this option
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
        Thanks, SpecialEd! Very well explained. This is the first time I noticed this option
        I'm an old dog at 77, and well versed in Linux and Kubuntu in particular (not as well versed as many other here) but this is the first time I heard about the (OEM) option as well. When I did a fresh install of 18.04 a couple months ago I never noticed such an option. When I install Kubuntu on someone's computer in the future I am going to use that option and then let them finish it. Thanks, SpecialEd!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          When I did a fresh install of 18.04 a couple months ago I never noticed such an option. When I install Kubuntu on someone's computer in the future I am going to use that option and then let them finish it. Thanks, SpecialEd!
          It's not activated in quite the same way as in the Mint video, which is probably why you didn't see it. It's tucked away in Ubuntu proper.

In Kubuntu...

- Boot iso and press any key when you see the screen with icons at the bottom, before the plymouth splash screen comes up.
          - In the screen you get press F4 (Modes) and select 'OEM Install (for manufacturers)'
          - Then select start kubuntu, and press enter.

Basically this adapted for Kubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...aller_Overview
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            ...Thanks, SpecialEd!
            Finally I know something! That ought to hold me for a few months.
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
            X