This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General questions about bbswitch and nvia-prime

My new system upgrade included a new i7-6700K. This, along with my GTX 780 means I now have 2 video cards - the second one being the Intel HD530. I have disabled it in the bios for now, but every time I upgrade the nvidia driver, it installs bbswitch and nvidia-prime as dependencies. I have been in the habit of removing these immediately afterward and the system does not complain when I do so they must not really be dependencies.

Other than the added time it takes (dkms module building) when a kernel update is installed, is there any reason I should keep these? If not, I'd like to block them once and for all.

I suppose if I enabled the Intel video card I might want them. But my Nvidia card runs 3 monitors and I can't imagine why I would want a 4th. If I were to remove the Nvidia card, I would remove the drivers first and install the Intel driver so in that would be a factor.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Mar 23, 2017, 07:39 AM.

Please Read Me

Me personally (and I too, like keeping a "clean" system), in this situation, I'd let the dependent packages get installed. You just don't know what consequences might ensue 'in the future' if you remove and block them from being reinstalled. Just my
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X