This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smb4K broken with Latest Updates

The latest updates broke Smb4K. I use it daily and it worked before the updates.

It is broke in Kubuntu 12.04, Kubuntu 16.04, and Fedora 23.

The following updates were taken on Kubuntu 12.04:
    libsmbclient
    libwbclient0
    optipng
    samba-common
    samba-common-bin
    smbclient

After this update I see the following behavior on Kubuntu 12.04:
    I click on my network and I'm asked for username and password for the host
    I enter my username and password and get an error that says "The list of arguments for the "net" command could not be assembled"
    When I click OK it says "The list of servers could not be retrieved"
    The details of this error say:
    Invalid command: net
    Invalid ip address specified
    Could not connect to server 127.0.0.1
    Conncetion failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED
    xargs: /bin/bash: exited with status 255; aborting

This is the contrasting behavior I get on Kubuntu 16.04 and Fedora 23
    I click on my network and it asks for username and password for a specific host on my network
    It hangs retrieving the list of servers belonging to domain for [my network name]

I can't find any recent bug reports for this.
    sigpic

Not that it helps now, but how do you do your package updates? Through a graphical package manager or from the CLI?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I do them from the CLI.

I do this for Kubuntu
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      sigpic

Comment

Good; CLI is preferred over GUI, IMO. I was thinking that possibly a user configurable config file was included in one of the packages that were updated. But, unless poorly written, if that were the case you would have seen a prompt as to what you wanted to do with the 'new' config file. Or, was there such and you opted to have the 'old' file replaced with the 'new' file?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There was no prompt this time. I've seen that in the past and opted to keep the old file since it had my configuration settings.
          sigpic

Comment

It turns out Smb4K is still working, but after the updates I have lost the ability to Scan Workgroup and browse the shares from the Network Neighborhood tab.

I am able to mount the shares manually by using the Open Mount Dialog. Since this works, I created Bookmarks for each share on my network. This is my workaround.

I'd still like to know which update broke it and why. I'll post a question in KDE Community Forums since this is not limited to Kubuntu and I experienced this same issue in Fedora.
            sigpic

Comment

Well, my post did not get an answer on KDE Community Forums. It's possible that not too many use Smb4K.

I found this with a recent Google search.
              Problem with SMB4k and Samba on openSUSE Leap

At least I feel validated, since I'm not the only one experiencing this.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X