This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recoll

This post is totally due to a certain "other" person, here at the forum!

The perspicacious viewer may wish to do a search for "recoll".....sans quotes.

And that is because..............

It takes a few hours to do the indexing, but..........OMG.

NOW............I usually only do "stock", I have used Akonadai, Strigi, and Dolphin because that is the Kubuntu way.....

But, if one really does a LOT of searching for an item and NEEDS..............the full pathway displayed..............as default.....

rocoll is .........."the way to go", as far as this reviewer is concerned.

I have done ALL of these things for Windblows and a "lot" of them for Linux, and basically said that...."well this is as good as it gets"....

but............recoll.............all one has to do is to take a look at the screeny to see the FULL POWER OF WHAT CAN BE DONE IN THE KDE SYSTEM.....

.... anything that I might say would be superflous.

thanks very muchly to a certain person of .............sometimes portly configuration! .................

woodveryappreciativesmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 17, 2013, 10:10 PM.

Portly?! Have you been hacking my webcam?!!!
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

oh that is just so..................

harsh!

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
        This post is totally due to a certain "other" person, here at the forum!

The perspicacious viewer may wish to do a search for "recoll".....sans quotes.

And that is because..............

It takes a few hours to do the indexing, but..........OMG.

NOW............I usually only do "stock", I have used Akonadai, Strigi, and Dolphin because that is the Kubuntu way.....

But, if one really does a LOT of searching for an item and NEEDS..............the full pathway displayed..............as default.....

rocoll is .........."the way to go", as far as this reviewer is concerned.

I have done ALL of these things for Windblows and a "lot" of them for Linux, and basically said that...."well this is as good as it gets"....

but............recoll.............all one has to do is to take a look at the screeny to see the FULL POWER OF WHAT CAN BE DONE IN THE KDE SYSTEM.....

.... anything that I might say would be superflous.

thanks very muchly to a certain person of .............sometimes portly configuration! .................

woodveryappreciativesmoke
        Recoll is fantastic and it even included a Krunner runner so it's integrated into KDE somewhat.

That said, I am still a huge fan of Nepomuk since they've rewritten most of it. It's now a lot faster and better integrated with Akonadi. Nepomuk is also incredibly powerful. Way more powerful than anything available, but accessing it's power is near impossible. If you want to use the semantic searching you have to use SPARQL queries which is really difficult. A recent GSOC project was to introduce an intelligent query builder widget for use in Dolphin and other applications. Here is a link to the project: http://steckdenis.be/

What's great is that the author of the new query widget is working with the Nepomuk-webminer developer to integrate webmail and other data sources into Nepomuk. By the way, give Nepomuk-webminer a look. It's a truly innovative idea and is going to be a big part of the process towards a true semantic desktop. The webminer automatically tags music, movies and tv shows with metadata from the internet so that you don't have to ever manually it but you are still free to do so.

At the moment though, the best way to access Nepomuk's impressive searching power is via Nepoogle. It is more advanced than the query builder and has some truly innovative features. I really do think Nepoogle wipes the floor with Recoll for searching prowess but it really only works well when you buy into the semantic desktop fully and understand how to do queries with it.

Bangarang is a really great media player that uses the semantic information really cleverly but you will probably have to use nepomuk-webminer to build up your semantic database. It's great being able to search for movies by actor or genre. I'll never remember the first time I played a film and afterward looked at the overview. Saw Hugh Jackman, clicked on his name and was instantly shown other films I have that star him.

To get the most out of Nepomuk and Akonadi you really need to commit yourself to the technologies. In the past it was problematic but nowadays the whole ecosystem just works so incredibly well. The hassle is that without nepomuk-webminer, Nepoogle and the new query builder, it isn't the most friendly system to use. The Krunner runner does a great job too but it's only great for keywords so you can't get the real semantic experience via it.

I don't know if this use case is too niche but I love creating virtual folders in Dolphin. I tag everything to do with my GF by her name and have a virtual folder associated with that tag. I can go that virtual folder and see any and all pictures, documents, movies, music, etc associated with her. I do the same for say family stuff so when I need to find a document my mom gave me ages ago and a file my father just gave me, I can access both from one folder instead of having to search through multiple locations. That way, you can have both your traditional file layout, but you can also create these virtual folders where you can see everything to do with a tag. With a proper setup, file location becomes irrelevant. All that matters is context through metadata.

I see a lot of promise in the future for KDE's semantic desktop vision and although it's 90% of the way there, it just isn't really all that user accessible. Also, little documentation on how to use it properly.

Comment

dmeyer.............

OTHER VIEWERS................SHOULD

RE...........RE...........REREAD...............

dmeyers post.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
          X