X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Logging out of KDE issue

KDE 4.5.4

If you log out of the running KDE session, are you supposed to be returned to the KDM Login screen? As others have posted about, doing so (here) results in a 'hang' on 'checking battery status' in a black screen. One has no choice but to use the 'magick keys' to complete a system shutdown and reboot.

Exactly what is supposed to happen when you select K > Leave > Log Out ?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Logging out of KDE issue

hi, I found this forum when I had that problem:

"Edit /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc and uncomment the line "#TerminateServer=true" by changing it to "TerminateServer=true" and restart KDM (reboot the system or sudo restart kdm)."

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3114264.0

I believe The Liquidator's solution for me.
    Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

My /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc file contains no such entry. The only entries that contain =true are:
      SortUsers=true
      UseBackground=true
      UseTheme=true
      UserList=true
      AllowNullPasswd=true
      AllowClose=true
      FocusPasswd=true
      It is the original (default) kdmrc file - I've made no changes to it.

Comment

Did you try to add

Code:
        TerminateServer=true
        and then re-start kdm?
        Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Where in your kdmrc is it located?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            My /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc file contains no such entry. The only entries that contain =true are:
            SortUsers=true
            UseBackground=true
            UseTheme=true
            UserList=true
            AllowNullPasswd=true
            AllowClose=true
            FocusPasswd=true
            It is the original (default) kdmrc file - I've made no changes to it.
            Have you ever changed anything (and I mean even the smallest change) to kdm in systemsettings? That effectively "ruins" the kdmrc file (removes all lines that are commented out). The default kdmrc file has these lines in (in [X-:*-Core] section):
            # Restart instead of resetting the local X-server after session exit.
            # Use it if the server leaks memory etc.
            # Default is false
            #TerminateServer=true
            Uncommenting the last line would normally enable the setting, but if you have applied any changes in systemsettings all of those lines have been erased (but you can manually add them back)

Comment

kubicle@

To the best of my knowledge I have not messed with the kdmrc file. I keep notes on the changes I make to my system, and I have no such mention that I messed with kdmrc. That said however, I can't with certainty say that I didn't make a change to it. But, have I made changes to KDM via System Settings? Yes. So that explains why those commented entries doen't exist.

I Googled and found that the entry would be in the [X-:*-Core] section as you pointed out. I already added the entry back in to that section, saved, and did a shutdown/reboot. Once back in on my desktop, I did a Logout and was presented with the KDM Login screen. Problem solved. 8)

Comment

Working...
              X