Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blur Effect not working on opensource radeon driver?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blur Effect not working on opensource radeon driver?

Hi,

I have two desktop PC with Kubuntu. One has Lucid Lynx, and the other has Maverick Meerkat. Both have the latest KDE 4.5.1 desktop.
    The problem is, whenever I try to activate the cool looking blur effect, all I get is a message that it couldn't be activated. Compositing is working fine, OpenGL is used other KWin effects are all working smooth. Now, the only similarity between the two computers are that they both have ATI Radeon X1K series GPU (X1600 pro and X1950 XT, both have shader 3 support and utilize the same effect on Windows 7 very well) and opensource xorg radeon driver installed. And I have already disabled KWin functionality check in desktop settings.

Am I missing something? Shouldn't it have to work with the opensource radeon driver too?

Re: Blur Effect not working on opensource radeon driver?

Read through this blog post by Martin Graesslin: Driver dilemma in KDE workspaces 4.5

It might be informative.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you very much Snowhog, it is very informative indeed!
      But it is also sad that probably I won't be able to use blur effect ever, unless I buy a "new" card.
      Well, one thing is for sure: I won't be buying ATI GPUs anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by oblivion
        Thank you very much Snowhog, it is very informative indeed!
        But it is also sad that probably I won't be able to use blur effect ever, unless I buy a "new" card.
        Well, one thing is for sure: I won't be buying ATI GPUs anymore.
        If you had actually read the article in the link posted by Snowhog, then you would know that it's clearly not an Ati-only issue.
        Hence, it's idiotic to say "I won't buy Ati anymore" because of that
        (Besides, you didn't buy any graphics cards in the last 5 years anyway after the X1000 series came out.)
        Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

OpenGL ?

Here is a topic from the KDE Forums > 4.5 b2: Cannot activate blur effect

It has couple commands to get more information.
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
          X