Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disabling the popup folder view on the desktop.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabling the popup folder view on the desktop.

This has driven me nuts ever since it was introduced. Anytime you put the mouse cursor over a folder on the desktop, the folder contents popup in their own window and get in the way. How do you disable this?

Thanks

Re: Disabling the popup folder view on the desktop.

Click on the configuration 'wrench', or, right-click on an empty area in the Folder View and select Folder View Settings and click on Display and uncheck Previews. At least, that is what one should have to do to prevent the previews. I just tried this, and it didn't work. One might either need to remove the widget and then reinstall it (but then, won't the default settings return?), or after the change, restart KDE.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

From what I've noticed, unchecking previews removes the previews for files, like jpgs or txt files, etc...

I'm not sure what setting removes that big window that lists whats inside a folder on the desktop.

Comment

That may not be changeable, at least, not without modifying the source of the Folder View widget. But I'm not a widget programming guru by any stretch of the imagination, so I could be wrong. If the behavior can be modified (easily) beyond what the available configuration tool provides, some one will (hopefully) post the method.

Comment

Ya it looks like your right, I found some info on it and apparently theres a dirty source hack that can do it. Hopefully they add a toggle in some future release.

Comment

Post your thoughts about it over on KDE Community Forums.

Comment

Thanks, I guess I should have checked over there as someone already asked the same question.

I just suggested they add a toggle in the future.

Comment

User feedback. It's one of the great assets of Linux.

Comment

You can delete those icons from the desktop, then from the kickoff menu, add whatever icons your want back to the desktop. The new ones won't have that big window anymore.
                  Ya hear that? That's the blues callin' baby.

Comment

Working...
                  X