X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change/Delete Desktop Icons

Hello potential helper,

I'm running Kubuntu Netbook Edition and I would love to know how to delete things in the menu display. There are icons there for applications that don't exist anymore and I can't figure out for the life of me how to get rid of them. And in the netbook edition, there is no right clicking on the desktop, so I can't just right click and move the shortcut to the trash.

I've looked around the internet, but I can't seem to find any information about how to really do anything in the Netbook Edition (probably since it's so new and "not fully developed").

On a separate note, how do I access Wine's "Add/Remove Programs" thing? The leftover icons are a result of simply deleting the Wine folder containing the apps instead of "uninstalling" them.

I really hope someone can help me with figuring out how to change the shortcuts/icons/whatever they're referred to as, because
    [img width=400 height=234]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2285/snapshot2c.png[/img]

Thanks in advance!

Re: Change/Delete Desktop Icons

Subject: A Kubuntu-Netbook first time user's feedback

I haven't read through the entire post, but....
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by alamantus
      Hello potential helper,

I'm running Kubuntu Netbook Edition and I would love to know how to delete things in the menu display. There are icons there for applications that don't exist anymore and I can't figure out for the life of me how to get rid of them. And in the netbook edition, there is no right clicking on the desktop, so I can't just right click and move the shortcut to the trash.

I've looked around the internet, but I can't seem to find any information about how to really do anything in the Netbook Edition (probably since it's so new and "not fully developed").

On a separate note, how do I access Wine's "Add/Remove Programs" thing? The leftover icons are a result of simply deleting the Wine folder containing the apps instead of "uninstalling" them.

I really hope someone can help me with figuring out how to change the shortcuts/icons/whatever they're referred to as, because
      [img width=400 height=234]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2285/snapshot2c.png[/img]

Thanks in advance!
      Hello Alamantus,

As I've already suggested here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...9355#msg219355 you should just upgrade to KDE 4.4 to use the netbook interface. If you decide to install, please delete the .kde folder so everthing can be automatically reconfigured. It will solve your above mentioned problems.

Regards.

Comment

Thanks both of you for the advice! I'll look into the KDE 4.4!

Comment

KDE SC 4.4.0 Caikaku Release Announcement
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok, question:
            How do you update to the new KDE 4.4? Do I have to reinstall the whole operating system or something?

Comment

Never mind, I found it. Sorry for these pointless posts!

I got my info here:
              http://unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/7...n-kubuntu-910-

Comment

Following up, upgrading to KDE 4.4 did not help me with what I asked for help. I still can't delete desktop icons and it even added MORE to that page I showed you... I don't know what to do now. I just wanted to get rid of some icons...
                [img width=400 height=300]http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3599/snapshot3f.png[/img]

Someone please help me!

Comment

Just so you know, this has not been resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by alamantus
                    Just so you know, this has not been resolved.

Hello alamantus, correct me if I'm wrong: You have uninstalled some wine software (through wine uninstaller) but the icons/entries of some uninstalled wine software still exist on your system, right? If so, here is the wiki entry about removing wine entries (be warned: below commands will remove EVERY installed wine application):

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-82f0...99d60f82e84cd8

But you can also clean your system, per application by using Dolphin:

1. Open dolphin and select "Show Hidden Files" from the View menu.
                    2. Go into the folders mentioned in wiki article, and remove the related program entries/icons/menu entries.
                    3. If you also use Kickoff, you can also run "/usr/bin/kmenuedit" through the Konsole to edit kickoff menu entries.

Comment

Ohh, finally! Thank you thank you thank you! That's exactly what I needed!

Comment

Working...
                      X