This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tabs in windows on kde4.4

With kde 4.4 tabs in windows were introduced.

Using them is easy:
    just right click on the top of any window and choose:
    Group window
    (or similar, mine is in german)
    then choose the other window you want to group with.

For example I have Firefox and Kontact grouped into one window so changing from one to another is only a tab away

I wonder if there is a way to have this automated. Say a plasmoid (widget) that when clicked opens a window with my Firefox and Kontact in tabs.

Any thoughts?
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Tabs in windows on kde4.4

Yeah, the tabbing feature blew me away

At first I was using plastic as window decorating style instead of oxygen and it didn't work. I have tried a few different ones now and believe that tabbing only works with oxygen :P

BTW, it is called: Move window to group

Not sure about automation yet. I'd also like to see some way of using tabbed groups in the task bar. So far the programmes still appear as single items. Perhaps I've got to play around with the task bar settings...

Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
      I wonder if there is a way to have this automated. Say a plasmoid (widget) that when clicked opens a window with my Firefox and Kontact in tabs.
      I like the sound of that! Maybe these predefined groups would also keep state information so, for example, firefox would return to the last web page?
      FKA: tanderson

Comment

Hm, don't know about the experience of others, but my tabs don't function properly. Sooner or later X hits the CPU with 100% - with vanilla 4.4...
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Works for me - looks nice too, good to see some innovation going on in KDE4 now.

The upgrade from KDE4.3 was a blighter for me however, had to log in with recovery console and arse around with aptitude to get things to work - were the dependencies improperly defined?

I think there was also a problem has KDM, removing the KDM config menu and recreating the config appears to have sorted things.

Comment

Hmm, wonder what I'm doing wrong. I don't see any 'group window' or tabbing options.

Maybe it's theme specific (I am using aurorae)? Maybe the upgrade didn't go through after all?

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

theme specific is your answer methinks - try oxygen (no, I don't like it either...)

Comment

ATTN ALL :

Originally posted by para quote rog 131
                currenty ONLY oxygen supports tabs
                this is a good possibility that the aurorae engine will soon have support too (but the work needs to be done in the themes from my understanding)
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                X