This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring a closed panel in Kubuntu 8.10/kde 4.1.4

I have chosen to close the main panel accidently (the panel which works like Task Bar in Windows, which displays the running applications, opened folders, etc.). Now, in that place, the system tray stretches itself to the start button. Now, I want to restore the panel. Can anyone help me...?

Re: Restoring a closed panel in Kubuntu 8.10/kde 4.1.4

I am not sure how to restore what you had, but there are some things you can work with. Right click on the Desktop and you can Add Panel. Whether that will then include you existing Systray I do not know. You might have to re-add numerous things to the new panel. You could also remove all you panel configurations and have KDE create all the defaults by removing ~/.kde/share/plasmarc.

Comment

Re: Restoring a closed panel in Kubuntu 8.10/kde 4.1.4

(the panel which works like Task Bar in Windows, which displays the running applications, opened folders, etc.). Now, in that place, the system tray stretches itself to the start button.
      The KDE has a Task Manager plasmoid. If you have closed it you can add it back. The KDE 4 panel is a plasma containment . For the KDE 4.1 there is > Plasma FAQ (What, How, ...):
      Plasma is one of the key technologies of KDE 4 (also known as the "Pillars of KDE"), and one of the most visible to users. As Plasma treats the user interface differently than a traditional desktop, there may be confusion as to what Plasma is, what it does, and how to perform common tasks.

This document attempts to address these problems by providing answers to the most common questions...

How can I add applets to the panel?

Method 1: Open the Add Widgets dialog in the Plasma cashew (upper right corner of the screen) then select the widget of your liking and drag it directly (don't double click or use the Add Widget button) to the panel.

Method 2: Drag an applet from the desktop to the panel. This is also shown briefly on a video on Lydia Pintscher's blog.

Can I move the applets on the panel?

Just before KDE 4.1 RC1, a change has been introduced in Plasma to allow movement of the applets on the panel. To do so, open up the panel controller (by clicking on the cashew or by right clicking on the panel and selecting "Panel Settings") and hover the mouse cursor over the applets. Its shape will turn into four arrows, and you'll be able to rearrange the applets as you wish.

Lydia Pintscher's blog has a video showing movement in action. Another one is available on Aikurn's blog. Aikurn has also made an annotated video.

How can I remove a panel?

Click on the panel cashew and select "Remove this Panel". Alternatively you can right click on the panel itself and choose "Remove this Panel".

My panel is gone, how do I get it back?
      kquitapp plasma; rm $KDEHOME/share/config/plasma-appletsrc; plasma

This deletes your plasma settings, so you'll get the default configuration back. The panel-vanishing-on-crash issue was fixed just after 4.0.0's release. If running all the 3 commands at once doesn't work, try typing them in manually and wait a few seconds before running the next command.

(Note that the $KDEHOME environment variable may not be set. Try ~/.kde (Fedora, Kubuntu Intrepid, Debian, upstream default) or ~/.kde4 (OpenSUSE, Kubuntu Hardy and several others).)

Note !
      Renaming/removing plasma-appletsrc will reset all plasmoids to the default !

=>

Press Alt+ F2 type konsole; konsole/terminal pops up.

At the konsole, stopping plasma desktop:
      Code:
      kquitapp plasma

a) renaming plasma-appletsrc
      Code:
      mv ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc_backup
      b) or removing plasma-appletsrc
      Code:
      rm ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc
      c) Applications that are not using plasma system will start with: Alt+F2: application name. Use your file manager (dolphin/konqueror - show hidden files) and go to the ~/.kde/share/config/. Rename/remove the plasma-appletsrc.

Note !
      ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc is same as /home/<YOUR_USERNAME_HERE>/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc

Restart the plasma desktop
      Code:
      plasma

More links > Topic: Intrepid Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.1, Release notes >> Intrepid Final
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
      X