This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with prioritizing fonts in KDE

Since upgrading to Hardy Heron RC on release day I've had various problems with fonts and RT2500 drivers, the driver problem I solved myself and this thread is about the one concerning the fonts.

In Gutsy Gibbon my fonts were all fine, everything looked pretty and even though some Chinese characters (which I have installed just so that I won't have to see those damn squares) didn't show I was quite happy with my install; then along came the Hardy Heron with his rouge ways and pushed the Gibbon aside, showing who was release candidate.
    Enough with the bad wordplays... sorry.

As I was saying, when I installed the Hardy Heron RC all my fonts became all pixely and stuff. After having searched the intrawebs and asked everyone in sight for about a day I solved that with my brand new /etc/fonts/local.conf.

As of now only one problem still remain: Konqueror uses Chinese fonts on a Japanese page I use frequently (where it is quite important I get it right as I'm still learning and I use it for study) and Konversation show everything in Chinese fonts (which is quite confusing when chatting in Japanese). Obviously the thing Konversation is having is problems with prioritizing.
    Oh, my KDE fonts are set to Sans Serif by the way; most of them. I don't know which Sans Serif, but it says Sans Serif in the KDE settings panel.

I know one solution on the Konversation issue would be to create my own font family Sans Serif as I haven't defined that one myself, but after a day of experimenting with that I might say I'm no good with that as all the fonts I find doing Japanese are horrifyingly ugly with English and Swedish.

As for the home page not working properly, I can only quote the CSS (note that that's a link!):
    #cardholder #card #kanjibig p { margin:0; padding:0; font:100pt 'Hiragino Mincho Pro','ヒラギノ明朝 Pro W3','MS 明朝','MS P明朝', serif; }

Let me translate that...
    Hiragino Mincho Pro (I don't have this, it's properitary)
    ヒラギノ明朝 Pro W3 (this is the same as above, transliterated)
    MS 明朝 (This says 'MS Minchou', fc-list shows that they are equal: MS Mincho,MS 明朝:style=Regular... obviously I have this as it's in fc-list)
    MS P明朝 (I don't have this one, but it's MS P Minchou anyway)
    serif (this is a font family, I'm not sure where it's defined on my system)

According to the CSS it should show in MS Mincho which wolud display the character right, but apparently it displays it with Times New Roman (which has Chinese characters!? I too was surprised, but it appears to have). I have an attachment showing some of the differences, the image shows two characters, one for 'black ink' and one for a kind of greeting, whereas the greeting is there only to show where some confusion can be made...

All help appreciated!
    Attached Files

Re: Problems with prioritizing fonts in KDE

Why don't you change font to something else than generic sans serif in kcontrol? You should also try different fonts settings in konqueror - settings -> configure konqueror --> fonts
    and view --> set encoding. Have you tried firefox btw?

Comment

Originally posted by klerfayt
      Why don't you change font to something else than generic sans serif in kcontrol? You should also try different fonts settings in konqueror - settings -> configure konqueror --> fonts
      and view --> set encoding. Have you tried firefox btw?
      Thank you for a quick reply!

Oh, yes, forgot to mention that the page works fine in Firefox. Shows with the right fonts and stuff.

I don't change from Sans Serif in KControls because everything non-Japanese looks awful with the Japanese fonts as default. Also, I think setting it to a default font would cause no-nos with characters not in that font.

As thus, the ideal would be to have a Sans Serif with
      Priority #1: A font which looks awesome with European (not only English) characters but lacks Japanese and Chinese ones.
      Priority #2: A font which looks awesome with Japanese characters.
      Priority #3 or #4: A font which looks awesome with Chinese characters.
      Priority #3 or #4: A font which looks awesome with Korean characters. (though I don't use them right now...)

Just setting an encoding won't work as the unicode guys claim the characters are the same and this is all just a font issue, in other words the encoding is right with UTF-8.

Comment

"In Gutsy Gibbon my fonts were all fine, everything looked pretty and even though some Chinese characters (which I have installed just so that I won't have to see those damn squares)"

which Chinese fonts did you install? What do I install? I have issues with squares and diamond Question marks in swiftfox (and sometimes other programs) altho if I switch to the encoding ISO-xxxxx it works fine, but a page refresh makes it auto-reset to utf-8.
        Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

Originally posted by nowshining
          "In Gutsy Gibbon my fonts were all fine, everything looked pretty and even though some Chinese characters (which I have installed just so that I won't have to see those damn squares)"

which Chinese fonts did you install? What do I install? I have issues with squares and diamond Question marks in swiftfox (and sometimes other programs) altho if I switch to the encoding ISO-xxxxx it works fine, but a page refresh makes it auto-reset to utf-8.
          Sorry, I'm not sure really.
          I just installed language-support-zh (Chinese lang. support), a bunch of Chinese font from apt and followed some CJK tutorials on Ubuntuforums...

I've re-installed now and have been presented with new exciting problems... (need I say I'm not very pleased with this latest release?)
          1) The fonts are still horrible.
          2) SCIM is even harder to get rid of than it was in the previous version due to dependicies of the language support packages.
          3) Getting the network card to work was, again, an interesting experience...
          4) When trying to run uim-pref-qt (uim is my preferred input engine you see...) I get the following error:
          Error: in scm_symbol_value: unbound variable: custom-group-label
          (though uim-pref-gtk works fine, just noticed...)

*buntu is not really a fan of CJK, is it?

Comment

thanks i did remove all those upon install or so, i thought it was prob. because I removed those but wasn't sure.

hey you can try some tips for perfecting fonts on ubuntu/kubuntu @ my website gutsygibbon below.

I also in system settings set the following which should prob. help:

system settings - appearance - Fonts - Use Anti-Aliasing Enabled and Force Fonts DPI to 120.

Comment

below = in my sig. under - the Gatherings line url.

Comment

Working...
              X