This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love it as much as always

Just thought I'd toss out an "atta boy!" (or girl) since it's been a long time since I last did that. I've used Kubuntu since 5.04, Hoary Hedgehog if memory serves. I love it as much now as I did back then.

You may [or may not] be aware that I had a ton, I mean a $hitload! of problems even getting 20.04 up and running on my new laptop. But despite that, once everything was sorted out and it was running smoothly, I couldn't be happier. Its features, its look and feel, its beauty, its limitless customization possibilities, all of it just make me very, very happy.

I have no big complaints. I'm irked by the fact that it's (apparently) no longer possible to set per-desktop wallpaper, but as I haven't delved deeply into that yet, I can't really make a judgment.

Why everyone isn't using Kubuntu is beyond me! I really feel kind of sorry for clueless windows users--I mean people who don't even know that there's a whole other world out there. One that doesn't involve proprietary, buggy, crash-prone software. One in which you're free to pick and choose to your liking how your desktop looks, and which programs you use, and all the other stuff that goes with using Linux instead. To say nothing of the security, stability, and so on that's built-in to Linux and then Kubuntu. I often hear "but I NEED such-and-such" windows program, and I just roll my eyes. Think about this: I've ALWAYS used *nix, and ONLY *nix, and I've gotten along just fine!

So there you have my $0.02 worth. I'm in awe of what the Kubuntu developers do for us, and wanted to say so.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

For variety I have three different desktops on three computers. The boss is running Linux Mint Cinnamon, I have Pop!_OS on my Thinkpad down in the bar *but* my main workhorse is KDE Neon!

I just booted into the Windows partition on my PC just to run Lenovo/Windows updates and check for updated firmware but as soon as it was done rebooted back into Neon!

I also quite like Pop!_OS, it's Ubuntu done properly!

I'm still wondering what to do with my mid 2010 Mac Mini. I've been thinking of taking it to a used Mac shop to sell or I could replace the now VERY old High Sierra system with Kubuntu and use that down in the bar instead of the Thinkpad!
    Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

I'm irked by the fact that it's (apparently) no longers possible to set per-desktop wallpaper.
      KDE has gone so far ahead it's out of sight with backgrounds. It's now controlled by plugins, and the one I use, "vallpaper" let's you have video playing per-desktop, or sideshows, but if you want to be boring the slide show can just be one picture. Some plugins do live streams, but I haven't tried that. I must try it sometime, it'd be cool to have the ISS web cam playing.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        KDE has gone so far ahead it's out of sight with backgrounds. It's now controlled by plugins, and the one I use, "vallpaper" let's you have video playing per-desktop, or sideshows, but if you want to be boring the slide show can just be one picture. Some plugins do live streams, but I haven't tried that. I must try it sometime, it'd be cool to have the ISS web cam playing.
        Interesting. I was reminded recently--while plodding through billions of screenshots taken over the decades--that at one point, I had something very similar running. I'll dig up a screenshot later to show what I'm talking about. But, basically, each desktop had its own wallpaper and widgets; so the screenshot I saw showed one desktop's wallpaper and, in the upper right corner where I'd put it, a widget that continually rotated through photos from a set I had defined, like a slideshow. I don't remember now what the date was on that shot--I THINK it was 2006, but I don't want to carve that in stone because I could be WAY off! I'll find that pic and post it later.

Meanwhile, I'm going to give this "vallpaper" a look. Thanks for the heads-up!
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
          For variety I have three different desktops on three computers. The boss is running Linux Mint Cinnamon, I have Pop!_OS on my Thinkpad down in the bar *but* my main workhorse is KDE Neon!

I just booted into the Windows partition on my PC just to run Lenovo/Windows updates and check for updated firmware but as soon as it was done rebooted back into Neon!
          Just out of curiosity, why do you even keep windows around? I mean, do you actually use it? Do you need it for some reason?

I also quite like Pop!_OS, it's Ubuntu done properly!
          That's quite a different opinion from the one GG gave! His made me glad I hadn't chosen Pop when I ordered my latest System76 laptop. What do you like about it? Is it more...I don't know, flexible? powerful? beautiful? SOMETHING? than Kubuntu?

I'm still wondering what to do with my mid 2010 Mac Mini. I've been thinking of taking it to a used Mac shop to sell or I could replace the now VERY old High Sierra system with Kubuntu and use that down in the bar instead of the Thinkpad!
          I've never had that problem. The only Mac I've ever had in my house was the...gosh...what was it called...the color of the VERY FIRST iMac...Bondi Blue! I bought a Bondi Blue iMac for my daughter for Christmas; she's a die-hard Apple user. (She majored in photojournalism at university, and all their computers were Apple.) I pulled a funny trick on her. I had a PC box, from a recently-purchased desktop, and I put the iMac box INSIDE the PC box, then wrapped it.

When she came home for Christmas, I took her to my office and her eyes popped when she saw this big box. She started opening it and saw PC pictures on the box as she tore off the wrapping paper. I was rambling on and on as she was doing this, telling her that using a PC wouldn't be a hard transition and that I'd help her out... She finally ripped the box open and saw...it! Her jaw dropped.

By the way, I feel entitled to pulling pranks on her at will. Why? Because she pulled the biggest prank of my life on me! She was born on April Fool's Day--and weighed TEN POUNDS. It took years for my anatomy to recover from her birth. So there!

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post

By the way, I feel entitled to pulling pranks on her at will. Why? Because she pulled the biggest prank of my life on me! She was born on April Fool's Day--and weighed TEN POUNDS. It took years for my anatomy to recover from her birth. So there!
            Ten pounds!
            I can understand a women being willing to birth her first baby. We went though "la monz" (?) classes together and I learned how to encourage her breathing, etc. When the event actually arrived and I began employing what we learned in the class she took a swing at me, barely missing my face, and shouted "shut up, I'm having this kid". So I went out to the waiting room. I'm standing at the window to the nursery waiting for my son to be brought in when this woman walked by on her way to the OR, moaning and groaning. Perhaps 30 minutes later I'm still at the window when someone walks up and begins looking. I turned to my right to see who it was and it was the woman who walked by 30 minutes ago! "That was quick!" I remarked. "It's my seventh!" she replied. I thought to myself that she must have had a zipper installed sometime between the 1st and the 7th.

It amazes me, after watching my wife go through the birth of our son, that she wanted to do it again. Talk about short term memory.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I keep Windows around because... I don't know! Originally it was because the PC was new so I thought for warranty sake. But I've since added more RAM and an nVidia video card so that excuse is out the window, so to speak! ��

If KDE died and I had to use Gnome I'd choose Pop over Ubuntu any day. I like the look and feel and the fact that there are no Snap cores built-in!

I'm inclined to install LibreELEC on the Mac, it's an old machine but has plenty of horses to use as a media centre!

My eldest son was premature and was born by C-section. My youngest was born 'normally' Although he was big, I could hear my wife screaming from the theatre! It took ages and I was sent home once to sleep, shower and change!
              Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Ten pounds!
                Yep--and I've NEVER let her forget it! I pull random pranks on her, and always have the excuse that it's a right I have for her being born on April 1st. When she was little, but old enough to grasp the concept of April Fool's Day, I told her a little white lie: that there's this unwritten code that women who give birth on April 1st have the right to pull pranks on their child whenever they want. (I think she finally realized I had made that up. But she plays along to this day. )

I can understand a women being willing to birth her first baby. We went though "la monz" (?) classes together and I learned how to encourage her breathing, etc. When the event actually arrived and I began employing what we learned in the class she took a swing at me, barely missing my face, and shouted "shut up, I'm having this kid". So I went out to the waiting room.
                Lamaze classes. Yep, we did them, too. And I, being the hippie-at-heart, post-flower child era, Earth mother wannabe, had visions of a beautiful, serene, painless, natural birth with my husband coaching me through as we'd learned in Lamaze classes.

And then labor started.

My daughter's birth was, hands down, the worst experience of my life. I went in expecting one thing, only to find something completely different. Those beautiful, serene birth films we watched in class did NOTHING to prepare me for what MY labor and delivery were like. I'm not surprised your wife took a swing at you! I cussed at my husband. I told him not to TOUCH me. It was so weird...everything was different from normal. My sense of touch was just off the charts. I couldn't stand any touch anywhere on my body.

So my poor husband is sitting there trying to be the helpful, supportive coach he'd seen in class, only to be told not to touch my back (for back rubs), not to do the effleurage massage on my abdomen, etc. It was awful. My doctor wanted to do a c-section, which I--as the head-strong teenager I was--refused. Finally, it became necessary to either try forceps or definitely do a c-section, as the baby was simply too big to come out unaided. I opted for the former. With forceps pulling her, out came our beautiful daughter...and I promptly went into shock.

My poor husband didn't know what to do, stay with me or follow our daughter to the nursery. He did both--stayed with me until I was stabilized, then went to the nursery.

What none of us knew at the time was that I had very severe endometriosis, adenomyosis, and endometritis--none of which is expected in a teenager. So all of it, the pain, the misery, the shock, was compounded by extremely painful conditions I hadn't even had diagnosed yet. And it so traumatized me that I couldn't imagine going through it again.

I'm standing at the window to the nursery waiting for my son to be brought in when this woman walked by on her way to the OR, moaning and groaning. Perhaps 30 minutes later I'm still at the window when someone walks up and begins looking. I turned to my right to see who it was and it was the woman who walked by 30 minutes ago! "That was quick!" I remarked. "It's my seventh!" she replied. I thought to myself that she must have had a zipper installed sometime between the 1st and the 7th.
                Ha ha! Reminds me of a woman at the Catholic private school our daughter went to. (We're neither Catholic nor religious, but their education was stellar.

So she went there for elementary school, after starting at Montessori.) I swear, this woman had a baby EVERY year. She was continually either pregnant, or holding a newborn. (That was way before anyone had ever heard of the Duggar family!) I really don't know how many babies they ended up with, but it was a lot.

It amazes me, after watching my wife go through the birth of our son, that she wanted to do it again. Talk about short term memory.
                Not me. See above. *SMH* It's been ages...I have GRANDCHILDREN...but I haven't forgotten.
                Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Dec 04, 2020, 06:28 PM.

Comment

As promised, some screenshots of an old setup I had. I inexplicably did not have the clock set to show the full date, as I generally do, but from their time-stamps, these were taken in 2009. They show different wallpaper on each desktop, plus the now-forgotten widget that acted as a slideshow, alternating photos from a set I'd defined. That's why I'm showing two of each, so you can see what that widget did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	desktop12.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	644974

Name:	desktop13.jpg
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	644975

and:

Name:	desktop2.jpg
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	644976

Name:	desktop4.jpg
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	644977

I have older shots, somewhere, but these will do. I really liked easily setting each desktop up with its own look, from wallpaper to widgets. I guess I need to start investigating 'activities'--something I don't believe I've ever used--along with @jlittle's suggestion of "vallpaper."

From browsing through a bunch of old screenshots just now, I'm kind of left scratching my head. My computers' look was just a lot PRETTIER before! I know there are many, many themes and stuff out there, but I just wish someone could look at screenshots of what I want, then point me to a current way of achieving it. I've scrolled through tons and tons of things, installed...I don't know how many different ones, only to find out they weren't it. I feel like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack. Maybe someone at least could show me which part of the haystack I should be looking in!

Comment

Working...
                  X