This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resurrecting-open-source-projects / scrot

While populating a new install of Kubuntu 20.04, I noticed that scrot can capture the mouse pointer, a feature missing from scrot in 18.04.

The 20.04 man page for scrot links to https://github.com/resurrecting-open...projects/scrot.
    Kubuntu 20.04

A feature that the default version of Spectacle in Kubuntu 20.04 doesn't have is to take a screenshot of a specific area without having to use the mouse.

Scrot in *buntu 20.04 has an --autoselect option to "Non-interactively choose a rectangle of x,y,w,h."

I've set scrot --autoselect 133,254,1545,354 $HOME/Pictures/"$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S)".png && paplay $HOME/Dropbox/Sounds/camera-shutter.oga to a convenient keyboard shortcut.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Spectacle can take a screenshot of a region without the mouse, true. But once an area is defined, it can repeated easily. I don't see a way to define a region in the cli, but the keyboard can be used to move and resize it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201031_105508.png
Views:	1
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	644909

Also, meta-shift-printscreen will take and save a screenshot with the rectangular region, and setting the option to automatically save will cause it to not even open the Specacle window .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201031_105704.png
Views:	1
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	644910

granted, I am on 5.20, but I think these option have been around and should be available in Focal's version of Spectacle.

I still like Ksnip, myself. Annotation etc.

Comment

Working...
      X