Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woodsmoke, by "correct" I mean a version of Dolphin which has, once again, the ability to create/write/move root owned files and folders.

This ability was removed, last year, along with Kate not being able to open as root user. but there were enough complaints (heads exploded) that the Kubuntu Devs made changes in both Dolphin, Kate and Polkit to restore some root access abilities.

The "correct" version number of Dolphin is 18.08 or higher and I think I have found it by installing Kubuntu 19.04 (Thanks kubicle).

Now I'm rebuilding my working environment under Kubuntu 19.04 (the LAMP stack). Still working on that...
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Well... Upon experimenting, it appears that Dolphin Ver. 18.12.1 STILL does not allow access to files owned by root... Nor can I create new folders or files in a root owned folder. The search goes on.

Just to be clear, I did install Kubuntu 19.04 and spent a day and a half getting it functional, only to find that Dolphin 18.12.1 does not work on root owned files/folders.
      Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Jan 30, 2019, 05:36 PM.
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Where has it been posted that this has been implemented in a formal release? I see no mentions of it in any of the recent KDE Applications changelogs or any news feeds that I have looked at. It my be in progress, until it is working properly -- ie the place to see would be KDE Neon Dev unstable or Dev Stable.
        It is not in Neon Stable, which is the most up-to-date stable-release of Plasma, etc you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Where has it been posted that this has been implemented in a formal release? I see no mentions of it in any of the recent KDE Applications changelogs or any news feeds that I have looked at. It my be in progress, until it is working properly -- ie the place to see would be KDE Neon Dev unstable or Dev Stable.
          It is not in Neon Stable, which is the most up-to-date stable-release of Plasma, etc you can get.
          Not in a "formal release". I'm interpreting things posted by other people, here, to indicate that Dolphin version 18.08+ has the changes being discussed. I agree that I've not found this to be true...

I have tried installing Neon Stable, but had some trouble getting it to work on my system. I have NOT tried Neon Dev, either Stable or Unstable.

I'm still waiting for the Dolphin version which will allow me to access root owned files and folders. I'm learning to use Krusader, opened as root, as a workaround.

Hope springs eternal...

Comment

18.08+ Dolphin still does not allow working with root owned folders (running in user mode), but you can once again start is as root (using the workaround command I mentioned, for example)...of course, using krusader works just as well.

Comment

TWPonKubuntu ... and then there are the naughty solutions discussed here and in that thread, even if you only use umask temporarily (and then re-set it) as you do your session-work ...

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post424713
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

For those who have a need similar to mine, I'm using this workaround in place of using Dolphin:

Install Krusader from the repositories, if you don't already have it installed.
                Open a Konsole/Terminal session
                Start Krusader with root privileges with the command: "sudo -i krusader" and enter your password when requested.
                This will run in Konsole/Terminal until you close Krusader.

This will give you a file manager with root access privileges. You can create files and folders in root owned areas again. Disclaimer, you can still Bork your system with root access privileges, so exercise caution... but at least you won't have to worry about a Nanny slapping your wrist and saying No No!

I still use Kate as my development code editor, but Kate has been allowed to read/edit/write root owned files. Someday, Dolphin will be set free again so keep checking.

[edit] changed the sudo command per advice from kubicle in following post.
                Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Jan 31, 2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

@qqmike; Thanks for the link to those "naughty" solutions. I've not tried to use them yet, but I might if Dolphin is not "fixed" in 2019. I'm functional again, using Krusader for file management, but I would go back to Dolphin in a heartbeat if/when it has the chains removed.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                    For those who have a need similar to mine, I'm using this workaround in place of using Dolphin:
                    Start Krusader with root privileges with the command: "sudo krusader" and enter your password when requested.
                    If you use sudo with GUI apps, always use either "-i" or "-H" options with sudo, so the $HOME env variable is set correctly (as /root), otherwise the app may change ownerships in your $HOME to undesirable effects.
                    So "sudo -i krusader" rather than "sudo krusader"

Just in case you missed my last post, you can run dolphin 18.08+ as root:
                    Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                    18.08+ Dolphin still does not allow working with root owned folders (running in user mode), but you can once again start is as root (using the workaround command I mentioned, for example)...of course, using krusader works just as well.
                    Code:
                    pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin
                    will start dolphin 18.08+ as root (you can make a .dekstop shortcut or an alias for the command so you don't have to type it
                    Last edited by kubicle; Jan 31, 2019, 11:34 AM.

Comment

kubicle, thanks for the clarification, it helps. I've edited my post above.

Comment

TWP
                        aaahhh
                        thanks
                        woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                        X