This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
    Call it an overabundance of caution on my part. Google(r) is the registered trademark of that company... This editing tool doesn't appear to offer the registration mark "circle r", so I use (r) which is an accepted alternative.

My fingers typed a Cap r when I meant lower case, fixed it in the post. Thanks.
    ®

Not in any editor, it's in your keyboard already. If you have activated the compose key in System Settings > Input Device > Keyboard > Advanced, then it's compose+o r

Symbol Name Symbol Combination
    Copyright © composekey+o then c
    Trademark composekey+t then m
    Registered ® composekey+o then r
    Quarter ¼ composekey+1 then 4
    Half ½ composekey+1 then 2
    3 quarters ¾ composekey+3 then 4
    Euro composekey+e then =
    Yen ¥ composekey+y then =
    Pound £ composekey+l then -
    cent ¢ composekey+c then |
    degree ° composekey+o then o

Although the need to use such symbols is questionable: http://www.cll.com/OnMyMindBlog/When...ld_not_be_used

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      ®
      Although the need to use such symbols is questionable: http://www.cll.com/OnMyMindBlog/When...ld_not_be_used
      Thanks for the compose key hints.

As I said, caution... We live in a litigious society (witness Microsoft(r) and their patent trolls, among others).
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Thanks for the compose key hints.

As I said, caution... We live in a litigious society (witness Microsoft(r) and their patent trolls, among others).
        Really? I was hoping you'd hop right on that compose key and give us an ®

Please Read Me

Comment

® Since this editor needs more than eight characters to a post, I will be loquacious and blather on for a few lines... ®®®

[edit] I first used left ctrl as the compose key, but that disabled my ability to use left-ctrl arrow to move the cursor up or down a sentence by whole words.

The win key does not seem to like being used for this. No response to the key sequences.

I haven't decided which key to sacrifice for this particular use. I use most other keys frequently enough to want them kept unmodified.

More experimentation is needed...

PS: I'm NOT going back through all my posts to change (r) to ®
          Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; May 15, 2018, 06:04 PM.
          Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

® >>>>>

I haven't decided which key to sacrifice for this particular use. I use most other keys frequently enough to want them kept unmodified.

More experimentation is needed...>>>>>®
            I'm having pretty good success with the "Menu" key (opposite the Meta key with the evil logo on it).
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Testing: ® ok Menu key works, thanks

Comment

The menu key is used (by default) for a lot of desktop effects. I use it a lot for the invert effect on windows with a white background.

I use the Scroll Lock key as a compose key. I used to use Scroll Lock for Caps Lock (I set Caps Lock* as another control key, easy to use when touch typing without moving my hands from the home position), but now both Shift keys together can do that, so the scroll lock key was freed up.

On the off chance it might be useful to someone, /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose is a rough list for the combinations; there's many redundancies, so if you guess at a combination there's a good chance of success. There is an RFC for this, IIRC, but X11 doesn't conform to it.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

I'm looking at the compose-key definition in System Settings, but don't understand what in the world "3rd level of ..." means.

Does anyone really want to "Maintain key compatibility with old Solaris keycodes"? Like, I'm old, but ...

I tried using the Caps Lock, which I had disabled for obvious reasons, but it doesn't work. Maybe you have to log out and back in first. I'd like to be able to type a euro sign without switching into french keyboard to do it.
                  'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

I played around a bit but ended up leaving it the "menu" key. I don't use it anyway and the "Windows" key (mine has an Ubuntu sticker over it ) opens the launcher. I don't write in any foreign languages so I haven't the need for much. I use the ° the most. Much easier than typing "degrees".

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunluver:

Where did you get the Ubuntu sticker? Curious people want to know...

Comment

Shouldn't that be Ubuntu™?
                        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

The Win key seems to be working well for me ¢ and ™ and ® and such.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                            Shouldn't that be Ubuntu™?
                            I have much less trepidation about Ubuntu/Cannonical litigation I have respect for them...
                            I also use the ® mark to point out the hypocrisy in various organizations... Too many to name.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                              The Win key seems to be working well for me ¢ and ™ and ® and such.
                              I'm suspecting that my keyboard is approaching EOL... I pound on the keys a lot...

Comment

I have much less trepidation about Ubuntu/Cannonical litigation I have respect for them...
                                I also use the ® mark to point out the hypocrisy in various organizations... Too many to name.
                                �� to that

Dang! The thumbs up doesn't show on my screen
                                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                                X