This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TWPonKubuntu, that was hilarious!

dible, my first PC was an Apple ][+ with 48Kb of RAM. I used the USCD Pascal to write a Mandelbrot generator. To compute just ONE frame required 45 minutes for the Apple. I had the program print each iteration onto paper using a 9 pin line printer that printed one page a minute for text and about 3 minutes for graphics. There wasn't enough space on two Disk ]['s to save the graphics so I printed them. After about 40 or so pages I could flip them to make a "movie".

I wrote an inventory app for a parts store and it started out using two Disk]['s but within a month he needed more space. So, he bought a 5MB Corvus HD, about the size of a mini tower, which took 15 minutes to warm up to operating temperature before you could turn on the Apple. His first comment was "We'll never fill up that barn!". It backed up using a VHS tape recorder, which took 12 hours, so it was an over night operation and the Corvus was never shut down. Within six months he was out of space and moved to IBM PCs with 10 Mb HDs. As the HD sized doubled he moved along with them. I taught his son, who was in HS at the time (circa 1983), how to program (he went on to earn a PhD in Computer Science) and he took over for me.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X