Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBC news has left ALL as in ALL of U.S. lamestream media in the DUST not unexpected

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC news has left ALL as in ALL of U.S. lamestream media in the DUST not unexpected

Ok...

Ya gotta GO with me on this...

Now yeah, seabed mining may not seem all that interesting, but the real title is "Secret on the Ocean Floor"... and it is a "history" of seabed mining from the Glomar Challenger to TODAY...along with attendant environmental problems and the REAL LIFE STORY of a native that is going to operate the machine by remote control...and a native that is against it...

Here is the link to the "computer article" but

Ok...boring...but ya gotta go with me.

Search for the article on your SMARTPHONE...

What you see in the computer link is QUITE impressive...

BUT... look how the BBC has TRUELY GOTTEN IT RIGHT ...as to how it translates onto your smartphone...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/...eep_sea_mining

yeah don't read the article but...THUMB DOWN...you will see the same kind of "relativistic" inter-leaving and inter-sliding of images and text as the computer link but on the phone it is...

What we IN THE U.S...were TOLD by the MUCH VAUNTED U.S. media... what we were TOLD that inter-net news would be on our phones... really...

And behold...as Bruce Lee said..."all that glory"...it truely is amazing...

THIS is WORTH paying for...really...

And what are the U.S. Lamestream media doing? Wasting their resources in a circular echo chamber about...

AND SHOUTING AT US TO CLICK< CLICK, CLICK...the click bait...

but...I won't go there for fear of being shouted at by the denizens of this fair place...

AND WHAT ABOUT OUR WONDERFUL...SUPPOSEDLY BETTER THAN BBC... PBS and NPR...what... hours and hours of droning on about ..."there are concerns"...and UNending rehashes of ...Hitler...hmmm not a single story about the millions of Russians killed in the Gulags...nope... lotsa stories about evil Christians and RABID GUN OWNERS...

This is an IMPORTANT story...and told in an IMPRESSIVE way...

It is an example...of...what we were told would be "in our future"... by the U.S. Lamestream media...yeaaahhhh right...

U.S. lamestream media truely ARE A JOKE...

The BBC is the place to be.

woodjustsayin'smoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 20, 2018, 12:50 AM.

Lol. I like the BBC, too. I keep this bookmarked: http://www.bbc.com/

Comment

The BBC are on the whole good but it is not as impartial as it's stated to be. I think being impartial is technically impossible, so at least you know where you are with partisan media.

The BBC can make it site's nice because it's not funded by advertising, so doesn't pollute it's site with crap.

Comment

Woodsmoke,
        I read the BBC article and found it fascinating. I'm not sure that I agree with the environmental twist to the story, but the webpage (IMO) was a masterpiece of design.

No, this certainly would not work on a tiny handheld screen. That means a great many people will not see the whole story. They wear blinders and don't recognize it. It's not a case of willful ignorance, because those who use "smart" phones or tablets will probably think of themselves as being very "cutting edge" kind of people...

RE the comparison of MSM (Main Stream Media) to the BBC, I have to agree with Woodsmoke, as I understand his OP. MSM is only interested in more eyes on ads and unconcerned with any desire to impart knowledge...

[edit] emoicons don't seem to be working today...
        Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 20, 2018, 08:43 AM. Reason: Go Advanced and unchecked Disable Smilies in Text
        Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Advertising, despite being the proverbial stain on the face of the internet is a better funding model than the BBC, which uses the threat of criminal prosecution to attain it's money.

Comment

Bings:

RE BBC, without exposing yourself to libel, could you explain the "threat of criminal prosecution"? I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I don't know the details.
            Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

There's no risk of libel explaining it. If you watch any channel on the TV (BBC or not), listen to any radio station (BBC or not) or use bbc.co.uk/iplayer (the BBC catch up service) you have to pay £145 for a license. Failure to do so results in prosecution if you get caught. If you don't buy a license, they will send you threatening letters and also people will knock on your door to check on you. For example, when one of my relatives died, they licensing people were contacted and told so. The house was then refurbished prior to sale and all during that time the licensing were sending threatening letters about what happens when you don't pay a license.

It would be much better if it was paid for out of general taxation but the BBC like the fact they get their money from a guaranteed ring fenced fund.

Comment

Wow, I'm glad the BBC iplayer is restricted to the UK. I can see where children (of all ages) would rapidly run up a bill that could not be paid.

Does the UK not have any free radio/TV broadcast channels?

Comment

On a smartphone, be sure to get the BBC News app. Which displays those interleaving page stories really well. A few of their videos do actually have ads.
                  Some of those stories have kept me spellbound in the past.
                  The BBC is a big budget operation. With the mandate to set a high standard in news as well as general entertainment and documentaries. They can afford all the top people too.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Comment

See BBC.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                      Wow, I'm glad the BBC iplayer is restricted to the UK. I can see where children (of all ages) would rapidly run up a bill that could not be paid.

Does the UK not have any free radio/TV broadcast channels?
                      You don't get charged per content on the iplayer. It's included in the license, which is £145 for a year,

There are free channels in that you don't pay them to watch them but you need the license to watch them. However, you can watch catch up of other channels without a license. So for example:

1: You want to watch popular quiz show "The Chase", it is on the channel ITV. It's not a BBC channel but you need a licence to watch it live. The money goes to the BBC, ITV makes it money by putting adverts in the show.

2: You've missed X Factor and you go to watch it on their catch up service, you don't need the license for that.

3: You want to watch the news show "This Week". It's on BBC One. You need a license to watch it however you do it. The money goes towards the program and there are no adverts.

4: You want to watch a live sports program on a subscription channel. You pay the license and the subscription. Plus there are probably adverts too.

Comment

Bings, thank you for the reply. I'm in the US, plus I don't watch TV anymore (vast wasteland, etc.). We have a similar pay-per-view situation here, but it is fragmented into many feed providers, not a single one-source licensing.

Glad I'm no longer addicted to TV, but the internet still has its hook in my wallet... We pay about $70/month, which is more expensive than the £145 / year in the UK, even considering the currency parity differences.

[edit] ok the emoticons are not working for me. I can see the correct image in the advanced editor, but the actual post does not show them...

ADDED BY SNOWHOG: I don't know why this has started happening; I've made no changes of late that would have this effect. But, if you click the Go Advanced button and uncheck Disable smilies in text, then your emoticons will show properly.

[edit] Emoticons working now
                        Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Feb 20, 2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I tripped over that emoticon thing too.

I canceled cable TV 5 years ago and made a coat hanger antenna to get the local stations. It worked great, giving me about 21 stations. It gave us what we wanted: local news and weather, and old TV shows.

Last September we got a 100Mbps fiber optic cable connection for $70/mo. So, I purchased a $25 Roku device and attached it to my TV. For NO monthly charge I get Pluto, a 100+ channel service, and several similar services, plus YT and other movie services. For Xmas my son bought my wife & I a 40" Roku TV, which is awesome. My favorite channel is the one showing what a GoPro sees riding in the engine on railroad in Norway. Beautiful landscape, sculptured villages and towns. Very relaxing. Reminds me of the death scene in Soylent Green where Edward G Robinson watches scenes of wildlife, rivers and geography as he slowly dies and subsequently is turned into Solylent Green crackers.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Testing...

Ah ha@ Thanks Snowhog, working now.

Comment

Greygeek, our cable 'net connection ($70/mo) gives me maximum of about 6Gb/s download speeds. That is more than fast enough for our needs. Of course it isn't always that fast, but I can live with the occasional slow periods. It depends on how many computers are trying to use the wireless here.

Did you see the recent food (for real) product being offered by https://www.soylent.com/... I guessing it is either very black humor or they haven't ever watched the movie...

Have we hijacked this thread enough?

Comment

Working...
                              X